Chapter 1 - Playing With Fire

We're here to put a dent in the universe, otherwise why else even be here?

- Steve Jobs

Leah Azemar's eyes were bright in the darkness as she stared at Narra High School, flicking her lighter on and off repeatedly. It was an ugly building. The fading light exaggerated the roof's sharp edges and it stood stark against the soft rolls of the Australian bush.

A few years ago, she'd climbed out of her math room window onto that roof. It had been a decent view, only slightly marred by her teacher's screams to come back inside. Up on the hills were the fancy houses with expensive views of the sea; further down the shopping centre and Roy's Pub, a club that turned a blind eye to under-aged drinkers. Then the disorganised suburbs. It was the ocean that'd caught Leah's attention, though. It always was.

The only thing that ever looked alive in this town was the ocean.

A stick cracked and Leah turned.

Arelie stood behind her, eyes dark and blonde hair pulled into a harsh bun. Leah had never particularly liked Arelie, not that it mattered. There was no better partner in crime when Leah needed to remind the residents of Narra to keep their distance. All it took was a quick spray paint of the shopping centre, or a few smashed windows of a neighbouring house, and BAM – no one wanted to go anywhere near her. Which was exactly how it needed to be.

"You ready to do this?" Arelie asked.

"Yeah."

Leah kept her face blank, her hands moving to her pockets, pushing the lighter down deep.

"Good." Arelie's eyes flicked around, her expression betraying her excitement in a way that Leah didn't personally allow.

"The bike's around the front," Arelie said, "once you're done, get to it. No stopping. I'll be able to disable the alarm and security cameras, but that doesn't mean someone won't call the police."

Leah just nodded.

Arelie pulled a drink bottle out of her leather jacket and threw it over. "You'll need this."

Leah twirled the bottle around her gloved palm. Liquid sloshed inside. "What is it?"

"Petrol."

Leah blinked, her calm facade shattering momentarily. "I'm not using petrol. We don't want to burn the whole school down."

The blonde's eyes narrowed and her voice came out as a growl. "Don't go soft on me, Azemar."

Leah stared at her for a moment before sighing and pocketing the can, raising an eyebrow.

"Happy now?"

Arelie nodded. "Wait for my signal."

Before Leah could say anything else, she walked away. Leah waited until she could no longer hear Arelie's tread and then lobbed the bottle into the trees behind her.

Sometimes she wished she'd made friends with a slightly less psychotic criminal. Arelie had always been ruthless, that was what attracted Leah in the first place, but lately she'd been taking larger risks, and dragging Leah into them with her.

First, there'd been the graffiti on the cliff face, then the fireworks that nearly blew Leah's head off when they'd erupted early. A couple of days ago, she'd pulled Leah aside and suggested they burn down the school.

At first, Leah had refused to have any part in it, but on Friday everything changed. She'd done something stupid, something completely insane. And she'd managed to do it right in front of a school security camera.