Chapter 9 - An Unhappy Awakening

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly. 

-Morticia Addams 

Leah's eyes opened to a familiar scene. She was slumped against the rails of a bridge, body numb with shock and men's legs all around, caging her in.

No, no, no, no, no, no. Not this again.

She tried to pull free, stretching her mind in hopes it would snap and send this nightmare reeling away, but it didn't work. She felt the barrel of a gun kiss her temple as the car she'd been thrown from screeched to a stop, crashing against the railing of the bridge.

"Leah!"

Doors slammed, a boy was running towards her. Her name became murky somewhere between his mouth and her ears, but her head snapped towards him anyway, the way it always did.

"Leah, get back to the car!"

But she couldn't move, only watch, as the men turned at the sound of his voice. Her limbs were stiff, her head aching, heart screaming. Panic and fear streamed through her, all for this dark-haired boy. She knew, without knowing why, that he was special to her. And she also knew what was about to happen. She'd watched it a thousand times.

"Danny!" Her throat tore. "Run!"

But he didn't. She watched, unable to turn away, as the men moved towards him and one figure raised a gun.

She heard the shot and saw Danny fall, at the exact moment that the railing was blasted away behind her. She tumbled backwards, her agonising grief only relieved by one thought, one solace that gave her hope.

"At least it's not Seth."

Leah jerked awake, panting and covered in sweat with hands balling the sheets. Just a sleep vision, she told herself sternly. It's not real. But real or not, it lingered. She clenched her eyes shut, ignoring the images that knocked against them, and counted to ten, slowing her breaths until they were steady.

When her eyes opened again, her brow furrowed in confusion. The bed she lay on was not her own, instead smaller, with a metal frame that attached to the wall.

"Did you sleep well?"

Leah spun around so quickly her head swam. She felt groggy, like she'd downed a bottle of vodka the night before.

Jared sat in a chair across the room, long legs spread out and crossed at the ankles, his hands folded neatly behind his head.

Leah grimaced at the unwelcome surprise.

"No."

"I figured," he mused. "You were moving around a lot, moaning too."

She stared, mouth open. He was looking at her coldly, as if she'd done something to severely annoy him. Had she? A memory probed her skull but remained evasive, hovering in hazy strings of her mind.

Her growing confusion was masked by a scowl. Maybe she'd drunk too much last night and Jared had taken her home. How awkward.

"Where am I?" she asked, moving to get out of bed, only to hastily pull the covers back up when she realised she was wearing nothing but underwear and a large t-shirt. She looked down at her clothes, or lack of them, incredulously.

"Why aren't I wearing any pants?" she demanded.

Jared's eyes lit at her words and he leaned forward. "I had to make do. Your clothes got shredded."