17

My mind was too foggy from the very few hours of sleep that I had that I didn't even think when I opened the door from someone knocking for 5 minutes, Reid standing there. 

My eyes widened as he pushed open the door, coming into my apartment. 

"Spencer.."

"You've lost weight, you're not sleeping, you have bruises on your neck, tell me what's going on right now, Madeline!" He said, pacing around my apartment.

I crossed my arms, wrapping my blanket tighter around me. "It's really nothing, Spencer-"

"Stop telling me it's nothing, Maddy, I know that you're lying!" he yelled. "Don't make me walk away, because I will."

"I told you that it's my dad-"

"I called the hospital that your dad goes to, and he hasn't been there in weeks, Madeline," he said. "Last time he was there, he was doing fine with his condition."

I started to shake my head. "You went into my personal life?"

"Like I had a choice, Madeline," he said, his hands on his hips. "You cut us off like we were nothing, do you really love me?"

"Of course I do," I said, taking his face in my hands. "I love you so much, but this-this is something that will-it will ruin us, Spencer."

"I don't care what it is because if it's doing this to you, then it matters," he said, pushing my hair from my face. "I want to help, I want to help because I love you."

We both sat on the couch as I start to explain everything to him.

"When I was little, my dad was friends with this man, his name is David. He was always around, there wasn't a time when I can't remember that he wasn't," I said as he took my hand. "But one night, he snuck into my room, that's when it all changed."

He squeezed my hand. "I was 14, I didn't understand it, he did the same thing to my sister, and we never told anyone, we couldn't. All I could do was pretend, but it was hard. My sister was a few years older than me, she didn't take it well. That's why she killed herself, and David went to jail because they found out about him."

"He got out." Reid nodded.

"He's delusional, he thinks that we can still be together, that we can have a family," I said as tears slipped down my cheeks. "He's been sending flowers and letters, and he attacked me."

"Darling." Reid nodded, understanding.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you, it's just- I didn't want you to think differently of me."

"Madeline, I don't care about these things," he said, taking my face in his hands. "I just want you to be okay."

"Well, Spence," I smiled through tears. "I'm not okay."

"I know," he hugged me tightly. "I know."

**

I was in the kitchen, fixing some dinner when Spencer came home. He had a file in his hands, his brows furrowed.

"Please don't tell me you have a case." I groaned, stirring some vegetables in a pot.

"I do," he said, setting the file on the table, where he sat. "But it's here in Quantico."

"Oh yeah?" I asked. "Spare any details?"

He came into the kitchen, putting a picture on the counter, making my breath catch in my throat. 

"Anderson's body was found three hours ago with the word 'Darling' carved into his stomach." Reid said to me.

My hand found my mouth as I took a step back. "We know who did this, why haven't you arrested him?"

"He disappeared," Reid said, wrapping an arm around my waist. "This just became murder, Madeline."

"He killed Anderson, but I don't understand why." I shook my head.

"Anderson is a male friend that you spend a decent amount of time with." He said, taking the food off the stove.

"W-what about you, then?" I started to panic. "If he killed Anderson, what about when he comes for you, Spence? Oh god, he's going to hurt you."

Reid took my face in his hands. "No way that's going to happen, Madeline, you know that we won't let that happen to either of us."

"This is all my fault." I sobbed, my fingers shaking as he took them.

"No," he said to me. "This is a BAU case, we won't stop until he is behind bars, you know that."

"It's BAU?" I asked him. "That means that you guys are going to be looking at his past victims."

He met my eyes, raising his eyebrows. "No, you can't.."

Spencer's POV

I stood in front of the evidence board, staring at the pictures of Madeline. What he did to her. He not only raped and molested her, he beat her, emotionally destroyed her. 

Morgan came up beside me, putting a hand on my shoulder. 

"Look what he did to her." I shook my head.

"We'll catch him, there's no way he'll get to her," Morgan said to me. "Speaking of Madeline, how are you two?"

I smiled, turning away from the pictures.

"Ah," he grinned. "Boy genius is getting some."

"No," I shook my head. "Only once."

"Once? You have to tell me all about it, Reid."

"Yeah, not happening."

I turned around just as Madeline walked through the doors, a letter in her hand, her eyes red and puffy. 

I walked over to her, meeting her eyes. "What's wrong?"

She reached out, handing me the letter.

'My Sweet Darling,

Anderson was just another piece of the puzzle. Another anomaly in my plan for our love. I took care of it. Everything is nearing perfection. Except one.

Doctor Spencer Reid isn't good for you, Madeline. If you don't remove him before the end of the week, I will.

And I won't be as generous as I was with Anderson.'

"Madeline.."

"He's going to try and kill you, Reid," she cried. "This is my fault, this is all my fault, I should give myself over to him."

"Why would you do that?"

"If it means I save you, then it doesn't matter what happens to me," she shook her head. "He can't get to you."

"That's right, he can't," I said, taking her face in my hands. "You know there is no way that I will let that happen."

She pulled me into a hug as my hand gripped her neck, holding her tightly. 

That night, I went home to grab some clothes to head to Madeline's place. I unlocked my door, setting my keys in their normal slot before starting towards my bedroom.

"Doctor Spencer Reid."

I pulled my gun from it's holster, gripping it in my hands. I turned the corner and there he was sitting in my living room.

"David."