16

I never got to sleep last night. The events of the previous day was so terrifying to me that I couldn't even sleep. Every time I closed my eyes, there he was again, waiting to taunt me. Even in the arms of Reid, I still couldn't get to sleep. 

I was up before Reid that morning, who stayed the night after how upset I was. He was so sweet, I felt so bad keeping it from him, but it just wasn't right to tell him about it. I don't want him to think less of me, I want him to love the big and bold me, not who I used to be.

It just didn't feel right.

The mail came early that morning, falling through the mail slot as I poured a cup of coffee. I picked up the mail, going through the trash mail before laying on a letter with the word Darling written across the front.

Spencer's arms wrapped around my waist, his head resting on my shoulder as I pushed the letter with the rest of the mail. "Who's Darling?"

"It's from my dad," I lied. "He used to call me that."

"What are you doing up so early?" he yawned, pouring himself a cup of coffee. "You usually don't wake up until 9."

I shrugged. "Early morning."

"I have to be in the office by 8, mind if I use your shower?" He asked me.

"Of course," I pulled a smile. "There are towels under the sink."

He kissed my forehead softly before heading to the shower, leaving me alone. I sat down on the couch, pulling the letter from the back. I opened it, pulling the beige piece of paper from the envelope.

'My Sweet Darling,

As you must know, I am finally free. There's nothing like smelling the sweet, crisp air after 10 years behind bars. My first thought was coming to see you. You look to be doing great, having a nice job, a nice apartment, a nice boyfriend, you seem perfect. The only thing missing is me. I miss what we used to be, who we used to be, I miss you, my sweet sweet Madeline. 

I talked to your mother, trying to reach Elle, but I was told of her accident. I hadn't realized, I'm so sorry for your loss, Madeline.

I'm excited to see you soon, please, don't waste too much time away from your precious FBI boyfriend, he could be gone soon. '

My heart dropped to my stomach as I read it again. The shower water turned off as I quickly folded the letter, shoving it between the magazines on the table before wiping my face, sniffling. I struggled to hold in my tears as I took deep breaths. 

"Hey," I heard Reid say, his hands finding my shoulders. "What's wrong?"

"It's my dad," I lied to him again. "He's worse."

"Oh, no, Madeline," he said, pulling me into his chest and holding me tightly. "I'm sorry."

I pulled back as he swiped the tears from my face. I took a deep breath, taking a step back, away from Reid.

"I need to get dressed and get to work," I said, rubbing my face with both hands. "I'll see you later, Spence."

3 weeks later       Spencer's POV

I was reading a book while I sat in the bullpen, waiting to get a case. My hand mindlessly went to my neck, where I was shot.

"What's bothering you?" Morgan asked from behind me.

I turned around and looked at him. "What?"

"You used to do that when you got stressed," he said, pointing to my neck. "What's up?"

I sighed heavily. "It's Madeline."

"Lover's Paradise no longer paradise?" He joked.

I ran a hand over my neck, pressing into the scar, sighing.

"Oh, this is serious?" Morgan said, sitting on my desk.

"I don't know," I shook my head. "She's been distant lately, she says it's about her dad, but she hasn't gone to see him, she never really like her dad. I just-I feel like she's lying to me."

"Have you talked to her about it?"

"Every time I call her, she makes an excuse to why we can't talk," I sighed. "Every time I show up to talk to her, she's leaving for work. It's like she doesn't want to be with me. I think she's second guessing our relationship."

"Look, Reid, you know better than anyone how hard it is opening up to someone," Morgan said. "Talk to her, tell her how you feel. Madeline loves you, that's more than obvious, it has to be something else."

"Thanks, Morgan."

Madeline's POV

"Sorry, Spencer, I can't tonight, I have to finish an article for Anderson." I lied, locking the two new locks I added to the door.

"Madeline, do you still love me?"

"Of course I do!" I said, kicking off my shoes. "Spence.."

"Why are you avoiding me?" He asked, his voice quiet.

"I'm not, Reid, I've been busy."

"If you say so," he grumbled. "I'll see you later."

I hung up, sighing as I slumped onto the couch. Over the past three weeks, David had been stalking me, writing letters, sending flowers, then he attacked me.

I don't even know how I managed to get away. 

I was walking to my car, which I had to park 3 blocks away because of new comers, someone snatched my arm and pulled me into an alley, their hand pressed against my throat.

"My god, Madeline."

"David.." I whimpered, struggling against his grip.

"You have grown." He mumbled, his hands wandering underneath my shirt, his lips ghosting over my neck.

"Let me go."  I said, his hand wrapping tighter around my throat.

"I would love to take you right now, but I haven't got everything right," he mumbled, holding me as I tried to move. "Everything's almost perfect."

He let go, taking a step back as I turned and ran, getting into my car. I sobbed against my hands, struggling to get home with my shaking hands.

I got home, quickly getting into the shower, scrubbing his touch from my body. As I stared into the mirror, bruises littered my neck and my waist.

I collapsed onto the floor, sobbing. David was back, and he was ruining everything, just like he did 10 years ago.

Strange Love// Spencer Reid// Criminal Mindsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें