6

Two Weeks Later 

Over the past two weeks, I had been throwing myself into this case, trying any and everything to find a new lead. I hadn't been getting much sleep, trying anything to figure this out. Reid and I had drifted apart, not meeting like we usually would, I would ignore his calls and not return his texts.

After I had a friend at the police station look into their history, credit card history, but everything came up empty. These girls didn't run away, there was no way they were good enough to completely disappear.

I decided that I couldn't do this without help and I found myself in the lobby of the BAU, searching for Reid. 

JJ came up to me, her smile falling as she met my eyes. "Madeline, hey, are you okay?"

"Yeah," I lied, looking around for Reid. "Where's Reid?"

"He should be back any second, are you sure you're all right?"

I nodded before she turned away just as Reid walked through the doors. I walked over, intercepting him. He looked up, almost running into me before smiling. 

"Hey, Maddy, where have you been?" He asked me, meeting my eyes.

"Busy," I said quickly. "You know the Brewer case, I'm still writing that article and I'm wondering why the police haven't looked into it more."

He shrugged, staring at me. "There wasn't a reason to, they ran away."

"I had a friend at the police station look into their bank history and they haven't been touched in years," I said to him. "Reid, these girls didn't just disappear."

"Yes, they did," he said. "Allison had been planning to run away for months, she just finally did it-"

"Allison loved her mom too much to ever leave her like that and two teenage girls who completely disappear without a trace," I said to him. "That's not right, Reid, this isn't something that happens all the time, they're teenagers!"

"Have you been getting enough sleep?" he said, reaching out and touching my arm. "You don't look good."

"Don't touch me," I snatched my arm away. "Are you gonna help me or not?"

"Madeline, leave it alone, there's nothing there." He said.

"Fine," I said, turning away from him. "I'll do it myself."

I wiped my tears as I passed Garcia's office, an idea popping into my head. I knocked on the door and she opened it, her outfit never disappointing me. She grinned before inviting me in. I pulled a smile before sitting down in one of her spinny chairs.

"Madeline, what are you doing here?" She grinned.

"I need some help with something, if that's okay?" I asked her.

"Of course, my lovely lady, what do you need?" She asked, sitting down in her chair.

"You know that Brewer case from a while back?" I asked her. "Allison Brewer and Holly Peterson?"

She nodded. "Of course I do."

"Have you had any hits on any girls that look like them? Or any location of them at all?" I asked.

She started typing on her computer before turning to me. "We have a few on traffic cameras, but it-it looks weird."

I peered over her shoulder, looking at the pictures. I noticed the tattoo before anything else. "Can you zoom in on that?"

She zoomed in and I immediately recognized it. Cosa Nostra, which is a word for mafia. It was how they marked their property. 

"Can you cross them with names of mafia members dating back 10 years?"

She was about to start typing before turning around, sighing. "Madeline, as much as I would love to dig for you, I can't, it's against the rules."

"Penelope.."

She shook her head. "I can't, Maddy, I'm sorry."

I sighed. "Right, thank you, anyway."

She nodded as I turned and left, going towards the elevator. There was a local bar downtown where usual mafia members met and drank together, it was one of the many places that they owned. I pulled up in front of the bar before getting out and going inside, everyone's eyes turning towards me.

Their second in command always hung around the bar, only listening to what people have to say about them. Looking for more victims.  

I sat down beside him, ordering a drink. "Hello, Cyrus."

He turned towards me and smiled, taking another sip of his drink. "Madeline, what do I owe the honor?"

"Just wanted a drink." I lied, taking a sip.

"Nah, that's not it, you never come to this part of town." He said, meeting my eyes.

I turned towards him, searching his face for an answer. "Allison Brewer and Holly Peterson."

His eyes flicked away for a second and I knew he was about to lie. "I'm sorry, who?"

"I happened to come across a long lost picture of the two here in Virginia," I said, taking another sip of my drink. "And they had your signature tattoo."

"Is that right?"

"I think you know exactly what I'm talking about, Cyrus."

I got up and was starting to leave when he grabbed my arm roughly, pulling me close to him. "I'd advise you keep your nose out of business that ain't yours, girl, or you'll regret it."

"Is that a threat?" I asked him.

"Only if you make it one." 

He lets my arm go and I rubbed the place where his hand was, a bruise in it's wake. I sat in my car, pulling up to my work, where I sat, thinking over everything. I laid my head back against the headrest, closing my eyes. There was a knock on my window that scared me. I jumped, looking to who did it.

Juliette stood there, her hands in her pockets, a smile on her face. I got out, running a hand through my hair.

"Hey, Madeline.." She trailed off.

"Hey, Juliette, what are you doing here?" I asked, grabbing my bag and closing the door.

For the past consecutive days, she's been showing up at my work, asking me about my digging.

"I was wondering if you've got anything new?" She asked, her eyes red and puffy.

"I'm sorry, I don't." I said, putting my bag over my shoulder. 

Her eyes go to her feet and she frowns, starting to cry. I put a hand on her shoulder, catching her attention.

"But hey, I'm really working on this," I said to her. "I'm putting everything into this, I'll figure it out, Juliette."

She sniffed, looking up at me. "Really?"

"I will find your girl." 

She gave me a hug before going on her way. I dropped my keys on the way in and couldn't help but notice the large black SUV that pulled up to the curb, sitting there.

I knew going to that bar was a mistake. 

Now, I was under full surveillance by the freaking mafia.