'We were just messing with him, it was a joke,' he said putting his hands up. Stephanie shook her head giving him a hard look.

'What's the big deal Steph?' Johnny said slamming his fork down. 'Since when do you care about some nerd from England? Maybe you're after a new boyfriend?'

Steph scoffed. 'Whatever, Johnny.'

'He's from England?' Rhonda asked. 'Hold on, was it that guy Ms McGee introduced this morning?'

'Yeah,' Goose admitted sheepishly.

'Oh, that's so mean. He's new to the country, what's he gonna think of us?'

'Who cares,' Johnny snarled, and Rhonda blushed.

'So what does everyone think about this talent show we're having?' Paulette quickly interrupted. Rydell had missed out on a place on National Bandstand, and Ms McGee had announced they'd have a talent show at the end of the year instead.

'I think it sounds lame,' Steph said taking a bite of her sandwich.

'I guess it does,' Sharon said. 'But there's supposed to be a big prize.'

'And it'd be a chance to show off on stage,' Paulette added. 'It's not quite the same as being on live TV but it's something.'

'You want to enter?' Stephanie was incredulous.

'Why not?' Paulette asked.

'We don't have an act.'

'I might have something we could do,' Sharon said slowing, mulling it over. 'From back when I used to have song and dance classes.' Stephanie vaguely remembered Sharon's mom had her enrolled in performance arts after school activities until she'd put her foot down when she was about fifteen.

'You did singing and dancing?' Davey asked snickering, and Louis kicked him.

'Yes, I'm actually very flexible,' Sharon said glaring at him. Johnny nudged Louis and they both smirked.

'See we could do it, Stephanie,' Rhonda said ignoring the T birds muttered innuendoes.

'We'd need some backing singers though,' Sharon said putting a plan together. 'If we were to perform the act I'm thinking of.'

Stephanie opened her mouth to object but then thought better of it. Maybe it wouldn't be such a bad thing if Sharon was occupied with the talent show? It would give her less time to interfere in the leadership of the pink ladies. 'Look, I have a lot on with working for my dad,' she said pointedly. 'I don't have the time to organise this.'

'So we can't do it?' Rhonda asked her mouth turning down.

'We can if someone else takes charge,' she said looking at Sharon.

'But you're supposed to be our leader,' Paulette said grimacing.

'It's called delegation.'

'I'm sure I can sort something out,' Sharon said quickly. 'There are a few girls in my homeroom who I think I can persuade to join us. And you'll help me won't you Louis?'

Dimucci looked up startled. 'What?'

'Oh just with props and things.'

'I'll think about it,' he said, and Goose and Davey laughed. Everyone knew that he would, it was becoming quite clear that Sharon called the shots.

                                                                       ~~~

At the end of the week, all the girls had a free period so they sat outside watching football practice. Stephanie had to put up with yet another interrogation from Paulette, it was at least her fourth but who was counting?

'So what's the story with you and Johnny?'

'Let's just say I outgrew him over the summer,' Steph said flicking her hair over her shoulder.

'Well he still has the hots for you,' Paulette pointed out. Stephanie gave her a wry smile, she knew Paulette had been trying to get Johnny's attention all week but she'd been lucky if she could raise a smile from him.

'Johnny just hasn't learned when you're dead lie down. Besides, there's more to life than just making out.'

Paulette looked momentarily perplexed. 'You know I've never thought of it that way.'

'Well there's a surprise,' Sharon said giggling, and Paulette elbowed her.

'It's alright for you, you've got Dimucci fawning all over you.' Sharon smiled but she didn't retaliate.

The girls continued gossiping until they were disturbed by the roar of motorcycles. They turned their attention to the track where Balmudo and his gang had parked up by the T birds. Stephanie made her way over, wondering what on earth Johnny had got himself into now.

'These cockroaches are going to invade our turf one time too many,' Goose blustered, his eyes flitting to Johnny.

'We should take care of them tonight,' Louis added. Johnny grabbed his packet of cigarettes, slowly lighting one, and Steph could tell he was nervous.

'Tonight we bowl,' he said his voice slightly higher than usual, and Balmudo smirked at them. 

'Hey you're lucky we're bowling tonight,' Davey said, and the other T birds squirmed. The gang laughed before driving off, leaving Johnny to shout a few insults once they were safely out of hearing.

'Hey! Are we bowling tonight?' Sharon shouted over to Johnny.

He turned and nodded. 'That's right.' He then caught Paulette's eye, giving her a long lingering look. 'And I want you to look special.'

Paulette gasped. No problem Johnny,' she said in her best Marilyn voice.

Johnny smiled and she beamed back at him, while Steph gritted her teeth. She didn't miss the look Johnny shot her, clearly he was trying to wind her up. It wouldn't work, they were over, and if he wanted to get with Paulette, he was welcome to. More fool her for giving him the time of day.

                                                               ~~~

Thank you for reading, the prequel to this story 'Girl Code' is on my profile page.