Why now?

Tapping her fingers on the kitchen countertop, Danielle was looking out the window, as she then glanced at the clock on the wall. "Mom invited me over to have lunch and chat."

Laughing, Joe shrugged his shoulders, reading the newspaper. "You should know your mother by now better than that."

"I could starve to death if I haven't eaten before coming here, since I do know my mother better than that." Taking a seat beside her father, Danielle change the subject. "How are the rehearsals going?"

"I'd say very well actually. It's been a while since our last tour, but it didn't take very long to get back into it. I'm excited to get out there again, I've been sitting on my ass for too long."

"You need to have a break once in a while, too."

Nodding in agreement, Joe reached for his cup of coffee, which was left over from the morning. 

They both turned their heads, hearing the front door open. "Finally!" Danielle got up on her feet and went to the hallway to greet Stevie. "What took you so long?"

"Hello to you, too sweetheart." Stevie smiled at her daughter, pulling her into a hug. "I've been gone for no longer than three hours, don't complain."

"Four and a half!" Joe yelled from the kitchen, to which Stevie rolled her eyes. 

"Come on, I found this cute little antiques shop and-"

"Bought it?" Danni raised an eyebrow, looking at the bags Karen had just dropped off.

"I'm sure she was tempted." Karen joked, spinning her car keys around a finger. "If you don't need me anymore, I'll be going."

"No, I don't think I do. Joe and I leave to meet with Mick and John in a couple of hours, I don't have any other plans." Hugging her assistant goodbye, Stevie shut the door, then grabbed her shopping bags, carrying them to the kitchen. "Hey you." She smiled, greeting Joe with a kiss on the lips. 

"Hey." Joe smiled back at her, eyeing what she had brought along. "What's all that?"

"Just... all sorts of nick-nacks you wouldn't be interested in." Stevie shrugged her shoulders, moving to the fridge for a bottle of water. 

"Did you cut your hair shorter?" Joe asked, looking at her from behind.

Nodding her head, Stevie uncapped the bottle and took a gulp. "You noticed." Stevie then looked over to Danielle. "I wanted to ask you if you're going to join us on the tour?"

"As your second personal assistant again?" Danielle went on the road with Fleetwood Mac for a short while the previous time and she loved it, secretly hoping her mother would ask her again.

"You weren't my personal assistant, you just... you know me and you know how I like things to be in my dressing room, you take care of Sulamith and I love sharing the whole experience with you. Karen's got enough to deal with without feeding my dog." Stevie then added. "Only if you want to of course and if you're free."

"I was going to take some time off anyway." Danni shrugged. While she had a thing for music like her parents, her biggest passion was painting. Stevie used to joke that she was born with a brush in her hand. Danielle was still young, only twenty two years of age, but she was definitely talented and respected. She sold her first painting when she was fourteen. 

"And Brian? He won't mind?"

"I'm sure he won't mind. Besides, he can come along if he wants."

"Great!" Stevie clapped her hands excitedly. Before she could start unloading her bags, Stevie knew she should tell Joe what happened prior to her coming home. He wasn't going to be happy about it, but if she kept it from him, he was going to be mad. "Uh... Joe?"

"Mm?"

"I got a call, when I was out."

"Oh yeah?" He wasn't showing much interest. 

"You're not going to believe who it was from..." Frowning, Joe finally looked up, waiting for Stevie to continue. "Lindsey."

Danielle felt like it was time for her to leave her parents alone and she did that, saying she was going to take Stevie's things upstairs.

"What the hell did he want?"

Shrugging her shoulders, Stevie crossed her arms, looking away. "Just... to catch up."

Scoffing, Joe raised an eyebrow. "Catch up on the past twenty two years?"

"Honestly, I have no idea what made him call me. He sounded so casual, like we'd just seen each other the other day. He said, he'd like to meet for coffee or something."

"I hope you said no?"

"I said, I'm not sure..."

"Stevie..." Joe sighed, shaking his head. "You know it's not going to end well."

"Most likely not, but maybe it's time to forgive and forget. Although, I forgave him a long time ago. It's not even about that anymore."

"Then what's it about? Do you miss him?" Joe leaned back against the chair, awaiting her answer.

"I don't miss the man he'd become, when everything happened, but I do miss my friend from a very very long time ago."

Joe didn't say anything for a minute, before eventually speaking up. "Why now? Why did he have to wait for over twenty years to pick up the phone? And how did he even know your number?"

"From Mick probably. I know they kind of stayed in touch."

"Well." Joe shook his head. "You already know that I don't want you around Lindsey Buckingham, but I also know that no matter what, you will always want to be around him." Getting up from his seat, Joe didn't give Stevie a chance to say anything else, as he left her alone.

Hours later, the two of them were on their way to rehearsals. Not a word was spoken between them the whole time and when Joe parked his car, he got out and walked towards the building without waiting for Stevie, locking the car from a distance, once he heard her shut the passenger's side door. She did her best to catch up, giving him a small smile, when despite how he was currently feeling, he held the door for her. Joe didn't really have a reason to be angry... He softened a little, taking Stevie's hand, as they went inside. 

"Hello you two!" Mick greeted, a grin on his face as he shook hands with Joe and hugged Stevie, John doing the same. "We have a guest."

"Oh? Who?" Stevie asked, taking off her sunglasses, placing them on top of her head.

"Hello, stranger." 

Stevie's heart skipped a beat, her eyes meeting Lindsey's.

~

I don't know where this came from, but it did and I wanted to write it down, I hope you don't mind another new story. I have no clue where it's going to go, but fingers crossed you'll like it!