Chapter 31

Red squinted at her friend with a tilted head as he dropped her off at her house. Rift hadn't said a word since the lake... she was growing really anxious now.
He'd seemed incredibly tense... she hoped he was alright.
He looked back at her then with a wry smile as he turned her loose at her front porch.
"Just.. stay here for a while. To be safe, okay?"

"Rift," she protested, her brows furrowing. "Can't you at least tell me what the problem is?"

Rift shook his head as he looked at her apologetically. "I don't want you to worry about it. Just trust me, alright...?"

"It's too late for that," Red snapped. "I'm already worried about it. Tell me. What happened at the lake."

Rift made a face. "Just... promise you'll stay home today. I really.... need to look around. That's all."

"Riftー"

Before she could protest further, the wolf raised a hand and ruffled her hair gruffly.
His touch was usually so gentle... but today, it felt stiff, frightful.
He was really worried about something...
Even just looking at him, Red could tell he was visibly anxious as well. His shoulders looked tight and rigid, his body almost tough enough to be a statue.
She wasn't sure if it would help this time... but if it could, even a little, she had to try.
Starting just by tugging at his wrist as it dropped from her head, Red pulled the wolf towards her and wound him in her arms, embracing him as tightly as she could. From where she rested, her head against his chest, she could hear his heartbeat spike, which wasn't a good sign at first, but as she felt his muscles begin to loosen, Red knew she had to have had some sort of positive effect on him, and for that she was grateful.
Letting out a contented sigh, Rift relaxed against her and wrapped his own arms around her petite frame, nearly enveloping her completely. He was so warm...
Rift nestled against her and exhaled slowly a few times, holding her as long as she'd let him. His eyes fell closed and he allowed himself to breathe in her scent in secretー just once.
"...you really are the best medicine, Eve." He grinned and parted from her enough to look down into her face.
A mistake on his part had he wanted to continue keeping her in the dark; her pouting face looking up at him was enough to make him want to give her the entire world on the spot.
"Eve," he whined. "Do you have to look at me like that?"

"What?" She sulked. "I'm just worried. And you're being a butt..."

"I know, I know, I'm sorry. This is my fault.."

"It is not. Don't go blaming yourself..."

Pulling away completely to look up at him, she raised a hand and laced it through his hair, petting him affectionately, but with a sly grin. "You're a good boy."

"Aaaaaaaand we're back to the dog jokes."

Red laughed. She'd been hoping to lighten the mood...
Looking up at him and taking back her hand, she smiled warmly. "I'll be waiting right here. So you better come back soon, hear me?"
Rift rolled his eyes but he was smiling. "I hear you, I hear you."
He loved her.
He loved her so much.
And it was for that reason he would do anything to protect her.
Anything.
Letting out a slow breath, he brushed his fingers through her hair.
"Eve?"

"...what?"

"...I love you."

Before his words had time to set in and make her afraid, he leaned to kiss her gently on the forehead and turned away, off to make her safe again.
Red now sat alone on her porch, the warmth from his kiss still seeped into her, and she but brushed her fingertips along it, staring after him as he disappeared into the trees.
"... I love you, too."