Chapter 26

-Red's POV-

My mind had gone completely, unexplainably blank. How was this happening...? The gears in my head were turning miles behind and before I knew it the only thing I could feel was Rift. I could feel his skin, his warmth, his hands...
I was thinking entirely with my heart in that moment and not with my head. Though I hadn't willed them too, my arms lifted up, and my fingers found their way into his hair as he continued to kiss me, almost tensing at the sound he made in response. I had never seen this side of him before...
I thought we were just friends...
Even though to my body this felt like the most natural thing in the world, my mind was scared.
I had to stop...
I knew that, but I couldn't will myself away.
How had he learned to kiss so good..?
No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't part from him. Even so, the more he kissed me, the more heated it grew. He'd started to push me back further and further until he had me laying vulnerably against the ground. My mind grew more and more terrified, and yet I still couldn't pull away. I was weak against him, and I could feel him blinding me.
Before long, I could hardly breathe. Unable to draw enough air in fast enough, I started to tense against him. "Rif-" I tried to call, wasting the precious time to breathe.
Rift...stop...
But he wouldn't stop.
He continued to take my breath away until I was writhing beneath him.
Stop... stop...!
I was beginning to grow afraid.
It was as if he'd changed into a completely different person...
A hungrier one.
The transformation was almost frightening enough that I'd run from him... almost. I knew that Rift was still in there, and behind his heat, his touch was still gentle, and he touched me as if I was fragile, like a doll.
"Ri-" I tried again, to no avail.
What was I to do...? I didn't want to hurt him...
I could feel the anxiety of being trapped bubble in my chest and it was my only indication to him that I was uncomfortable, seeing as I couldn't speak.
"St...sto..."
I did everything I could to get him to stop, until finally, though I could feel him trembling as he did so, he tore himself from me. The second he did so, I inhaled sharply and snapped my eyes open, though I only got to look at him for a mere second before he dropped his head, resting it against my shoulder as we each struggled to catch our breath.
My body relaxed completely in relief and I let my eyes fall closed again.
Thank god...
The heat was intense...
How would I be able to face him again...?
I had started to open my mouth to say something, but Rift spoke up first, his voice a rugged murmur.
"I'm sorry..." he breathed. "I'm sorry, Eve... just... give me a second to calm down... I'll be alright..."
My brows drew together as I listened to him. I could hear it... my friend was still in there.
He had gone so animalistic, I hadn't known what to do... couldn't I help him...?
Unsure of what I could do for him now, I only lifted my hand and gently ran my fingers through his hair, gingerly hoping to ease him. It seemed to help him settle for just a moment before my fingertips drifted further down and stroked the nape of his neckー it only took a second before I felt him shudder and withdrew, hearing him grumble, "Ooh... that isn't helping..."
I bit my lip.
Maybe it would be best not to touch him at all for right now...
I needed to let him regain control of himself. No matter how long it took him, Id let him lay there against my body until he had the strength to face me again.
It took mere moments for him to maintain a steady breathing rhythm, and when his eyes met mine again, I found that I was the one who wasn't ready.