Chapter 6

"Goodnight, Eve."
Rift could feel her go limp against him and laughed lightly. So she was tired...
He smiled and looked down into her face, brushing her blonde hair from her cheeks. He could hear her soft breathing through her slightly parted lips and he gathered her into his arms, holding her like a princess. "Alright, alright... I'll take you home."
Holding her close to his chest, he started to carefully make the trip back to her house. He hadn't gotten very far before he heard an all-too-familiar voice from the other side of the trees.
"Well if it isn't the traitor."
His body stiffened, his ears pointing towards the voice. He didn't have to look up to know who it was.
"What do you want, Conan." His voice held a built up anger.
There was a scoff as a man who, like him, had wolf ears and a tail, stepped into view. Conanー an old member of the pack he used to be part of. "You know what you did. This is part of the SilverClaw pack territory and you know it."
Rift didn't answer.
"You aren't supposed to be here," the wolf growled. But he paused when he noticed the sleeping girl in Rift's arms. Rift stiffened at his gaze.
Conan glared at him. "Who's this? A human? You really have gone off the deep end."

"Shut up," Rift snarled. Conan bared his teeth at him. "Do not show your teeth to your superior, outcast."
Rift rumbled lowly in his chest, but reluctantly lowered his head to the wolf who was a higher rank than him. "....."
Conan stepped closer, eyeing the girl. Rift held her away from him, giving him a threatening look, earning him a low growl. "I hope you aren't thinking of claiming a human as your mate, outcast."
Rift didn't answer.
Conan glared at him before turning away. "Stay out of our territory. Final warning."
Without another word, Conan vanished into the trees.
Rift swallowed. Shoot... He may've just gotten Eve involved in something he shouldn't've....