Chapter 31

I change my dress for about the fourth time, trying to see if this one is okay. Zane was going to be here soon, very soon actually, and I have yet to find a solid outfit to wear tonight. Today was officially our one year anniversary! Zane and I have made it one year together and it felt so awesome to say. It made my heart flutter and the heat to rise to my cheeks every time I think about it. Things have been so great since the dance and it only seems to be getting better day after day.

And now today we were actually going to spend the day just enjoying each other's company and the love that we share.

I hear my phone indicate that I have a text. I hurry to take my dress off and toss it onto the floor along with the others that I didn't like and race over to my phone. When I see that it's a text from Zane saying that he is here I shriek in panic.

I run back into my closet to find a different dress. I know that he said to dress casual because he wasn't taking me anywhere where I needed to be dressed fancy. I spot a pretty powder pink colored floral dress that I figured would look okay. I grab it off of the hanger just as I hear the doorbell. I yank the dress over my head and rush out of the closet and to my mirror. The dress is cute and it goes along with my brown shoes. I put on my jean jacket and fix my straightened hair. I spray some perfume and swipe my lips with some gloss before I grab my purse and head out of my room.

When I get downstairs my parents are chatting with Zane. Zane turns to look at me and he seems happy to see me. We greet each other and he gives me a tight hug as my mother aww's in happiness.

"Young love." Gregg sighs causing me to roll my eyes and smirk.

"Alright lovies," My mom beckoned. "Time to get going!"

"Mom, are you rushing us?" I eye her suspiciously.

"No, I just want you two to have fun."

"Oh I can assure you we'll enjoy our night, Miss Nicole." Zane grins.

"Not too much fun." She warns the two of us.

"Yeah, yeah. Let's go, Zane."

Zane nodded, placing a hand on my back and urging me forward so that we could leave. But my mother made a noise, indicating for us not to move. We both paused, gazing back at her. Her smirk fell, becoming serious and she placed her hand on her hip as her eyes flickered between the both of us with her lips pursed. What was going on?

"I didn't mention the ground rules yet."

I groaned, slapping my hand to my forehead. "Ground rules? You've never set ground rules before."

"Well I am today."

"But weren't you the one who just told us that we needed to get going?"

"Which we really do." Zane adds.

"Yes, after you hear what I have to say."

"Mom!" I slump my shoulders.

"I'm just kidding!" She flashes a big smile at the two of us before letting out a reassuring laugh. "You two go and enjoy your night."

I can't help but let out a small laugh. "Okay, well let's go." I grabbed Zane's hand, him smirking as I threw open the door, ready to leave.

"Bye." Zane smiles at my mother before letting go of my hand to hug her.

"Want me to drive?" I offered as we walk past my car. "I'm a pretty good driver, in case you forgot."

"No thank you." He chuckled as if I were joking.