Chapter 17

[A/N: Hey guys! I hope you enjoy. Don't forget to comment/vote, i really appreciate it all <3333]

After leaving the docks, I head back to my tent. After canoeing, I hung around while Zane played volleyball and different games. That game of UNO I had planned against Malcolm was no longer on and he knew to steer clear of me. And since Malcolm steered clear of me, so did Brianna.

After eating s'mores, Zane and I hung out at the docks alone. We did a lot of talking and reminiscing. It felt nice to be with him and have him by my side. Unfortunately I did get a rash from the poison ivy and although I was given calamine lotion it still itched terribly. But there was just nothing I could do about it.

I was now exhausted after today's activities and couldn't wait to get some sleep.

I unzip my tent and quietly climb in. Brianna's back is facing me so I figure she is asleep and so I try not to disturb her. I quietly change out of my clothes and into my pajamas. When I finally get comfortable in bed, I hear a voice.

"You're back."

I look up and see that Brianna is now facing me and watching me. "Yeah. Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you."

"You didn't."

"Oh."

"I just want you to know I'm not mad at you about what happened earlier, Zuri." She says in a low voice.

"I didn't think you were."

"Oh." She grows quiet.

I honestly didn't think Brianna was ever mad at me. I know I went off on her and she could have been mad at me if she wanted. But I wasn't going to apologize because I have been waiting to say that to her. I figured she wasn't really speaking to me because she was trying to comfort Malcolm for most of the day. And since I didn't want to be around him, he kept his distance meaning Brianna chose to as well.

"Malcolm is really sorry. He feels bad about the fall." Her eyes flicker to my arms and I put them under my blanket.

"I don't want you to apologize for him."

"Why won't you forgive him?"

"Why do you want me to forgive him so easily?" I sit up to face her.

"Because he's sorry and what happened was an accident."

"Okay but it's not your place to tell me that. I'm sure I'll get over it but right now I deserve to feel the way I want."

"I just want you two to get along." She whispers.

Zane's words repeat in my mind and it makes complete sense. She just wants me to like her boyfriend and in her eyes it just seems like I'm giving him a hard time. I sigh.

"You want me to like your boyfriend." I conclude.

"Yes. You're my cousin and I don't want any conflict. I just want everyone to get along."

I see the sadness in her eyes and I feel the guilt coming along. I try to look away but I can feel her heavy gaze on me and I stare at the top of the tent blankly.

"I just would like if you tried to like him, Zuri. I tried to like Zane and after learning more about him I realized he wasn't so bad. I just want you to do the same for me." She's using her small persuasive voice to guilt trip me. And I can't believe that it's actually working.

"Okay, I'll try." I tell her honestly. "But you just have me to give me time to get over this right now."

"Okay," She nods happily at my offer. "How is the rash?"