Chapter 4

I groan when I hear my alarm clock go off. After not having to set an alarm for a few months to suddenly having one, especially for school, it totally sucks. And now here I was, getting up unnecessarily early for a place I didn't want to go to. But I get up anyways and get ready for my day. As I take my shower, I try to think of all good of things that will come out going back to school. It was my senior year and instead of dreading it, I wanted to embrace it.

Things would be different after this school year and so I wanted to make sure I made it a year to remember. I wanted it to be drama free because majority of the end of junior year turned out to be that way. It may sound like a lot to ask and I guess the only way to minimize the drama is if I keep myself out of it and away from it as much as possible.

I decide to wear a pretty light yellow summer dress and a jean jacket along with sandals. I fix my hair and head downstairs to the kitchen to grab some breakfast.

"Well good morning," My mother smiles at me as she packs her lunch.

"Morning." I say as I reach into the refrigerator for a bottle of water.

"Ready for your first last day of high school?"

"Eh, I guess." I shrug. "I'd rather be sleeping."

"Wouldn't we all?" She laughs.

"Where's Dad?"

"Oh, he's coming in to work late."

"He'd rather be sleeping?" I joke and laugh.

"Actually, yes." She says, causing me to laugh even more.

"I don't blame him."

"Me either," She agrees with a smile. "Anyways, you should be heading to school soon."

"I know, I just wanted to grab a water. Where's Austin?"

"I don't know, but I know he'd better not be late!" My mother says loud enough so that she could be heard from all the way upstairs. "I swear, Zuri, I'm not dealing with any type of senioritis this boy thinks he's going to pull this year."

I laugh. "I wouldn't, either."

"Aaron did it to me and I'm not letting Austin get away with it."

"Well if I can't then neither should he."

"That's right." She agrees.

"But I'm going to leave now so I will see you later."

"Okay, honey. Have a great day." She pecks me on the cheek and I wave before heading out of the house and towards my car.

Surprisingly, I got a car for my 18th birthday. I say surprisingly because I have been asking for a car for so long and my parents told me I wouldn't be getting one. But they surprised me on my birthday and it was awesome. It really sucked having to share a car with Austin, who rarely liked to share. But now I have my own silver BMW and it's my baby. I love it.

Apparently Ken, my biological father, agreed to pay my car insurance as long as I keep up with my grades and do what I'm supposed to do. But that's usually who I am anyways so keeping my end of the bargain wouldn't be too hard.

Things with Ken have been really great. I haven't seen him recently because he's very busy with work and plus I was gone for about two weeks. But even if I don't see him a lot, he always calls or texts me to check in. I occasionally visit him and I think our arrangement is great for us. I even introduced him to Zane, which felt really good to do.

Ken and Austin get along as well. They hang out a bit more than I do with Ken, but that's because they like to play sports or go to the gym together. I went to the gym with them once and never went back because the next day I couldn't move my body without wincing from the pain. But I like that Austin enjoys hanging out with Ken.