|| twenty-eight ||

Comincia dall'inizio

Jungkook shrugged, over it all ready. "Knickers."

Namjoon looked around. "Where is she anyway? I expected to find her here with a riding crop and a whistle to keep us malcontents in line."

Hoseok snickered. "I haven't heard her call us malcontents for years."

"She's not here. And after Gran asked me earlier today if Tae and I were into BDSM, I don't want to hear another mention of whips or crops for a very long time." Jungkook shuddered. "She's at the hospital with a dislocated shoulder and a scratched cornea. She'll be here soon."

"You're kidding?"

"I'm more interested in finding out how Gran knows about BDSM," Hobi said.

Jungkook rolled his eyes. "She says she read Fifty Shades of Grey."

Hoseok burst out laughing. "That explains so much."

"Tell me about it," Jungkook grumbled, his nerves pinging with anxiety. He was ready to seal his fate.

Namjoon lifted his eyebrows. "What happened to your mother?"

Jungkook sighed. "It's a long story, but I'm more interested in the story you have to tell me. I'm ready to hear it now." When Namjoon blinked in surprise, Jungkook added, "I know you have something important to say. Tae told me that much, but not the details. You investigated him, didn't you? After I expressly ordered you not to."

All the fight left Namjoon, who looked more vulnerable than Jungkook had seen him in years. "What would you have me do, Jungkook? I wasn't willing to stand by and watch you get hurt by one more jerk, especially when the last one still can't seem to take no for an answer. I swear, if Taehyeon makes one more annoying call..."

"What are you talking about?"

"That man's been calling me nonstop since Friday morning. Finally, after your fiasco of a rehearsal dinner last night, I told him you were in Busan, which meant you couldn't go out to dinner with him so he should stop calling me. To his credit, he seemed genuinely surprised to hear you were here. I said the only way you would even fathom going out with him was if he hopped on a train, found you here, and groveled at your feet. Thank God, that seemed to do the trick, and my phone has been mercifully silent ever since."

"Why would you tell him that? I wouldn't go out with him if he were the last man on earth. Especially after meeting Taehyung."

"Yeah...well, you shouldn't put Taehyung on a pedestal just yet." Namjoon put a hand on his hip and cocked his head. "What did he tell you?"

"I told you. He didn't tell me anything. I figured out you had something to do with it after he punched his brother—oh, God!" he said, realization hitting him. "I have no idea where Jin is or where he stayed last night."

Hobi's mouth contorted. "I know the answer to both of those questions."

Jungkook froze, narrowing his eyes. "How do you know?"

"You didn't!" Namjoon gasped.

Hoseok's back stiffened in defense. "What? He didn't have anywhere to go, and he was really upset."

"Hyung!" Namjoon said.

"What?" he asked in genuine confusion. "Oh! You think—no!" Disgust washed over his face. "Doesn't he like you more anyways?"

Namjoon stared blankly at Hoseok.

"There's nothing between me and Jin. He just needed a friend last night."

"A friend?" Namjoon asked, turning his attention to Hoseok. "That kind of guy doesn't do friends."

"Yeah, I know," Hobi said. "That's what was so confusing. We stayed up almost all night talking." Hoseok widened his eyes, as if sensing they were about to pounce on him. "What? It's true. And he never once made a move on me. Honestly, I think he's lonely."