|| nineteen ||

Jungkook studied Taehyung out of the corner of his eye, trying to determine if their inevitable breakup tonight bothered the elder as much as it did him. Tae had dropped his guard often enough for Jungkook to know he didn't want to do this either, but there really was no other way out. He couldn't tell his mother the truth, and if they didn't pick option one or two, that only left three—they went through with the wedding.

Jungkook turned off the engine and picked up his phone from the console where he'd left it, not surprised to see all the missed calls and texts. He and Taehyung had taken off without telling anyone where they were going. Everyone was freaked out. Jeon Ae-ri was inevitably more upset than the rest, but not for the same reason as everyone else.

He scrolled the list—calls from his mom, his dad, multiple calls and texts from Hoseok-hyung, one from Namjoon-hyung this morning, and one that came in from Seoul.

Taehyeon.

His chest tightened. He hadn't talked to him since telling him the wedding was off and walking out of his apartment two months ago. Why was he trying to get in touch now?

Jungkook glanced up at Taehyung, whose questioning gaze told him he'd noticed his reaction. "Is everything okay?"

Shaking his head, Jungkook forced a smile. "Yeah. I'm just overwhelmed by the number of calls and texts I missed. Did Jin try to reach you?"

Tae grimaced. "My phone went in the pool with me last night. It's on your bathroom counter awaiting its funeral."

"So we need to get you a new phone today."

"Yeah." He was still watching Jungkook. "Did your mother send you a threatening text?" he asked, sounding worried.

"Text?" the younger snorted, scrolling through them. "Knickers does not text."

"Then what's got you so anxious?"

"I should have told someone where we were going. Hobi-hyung and Namjoon-hyung are freaked out."

"Take five minutes to call them and let them know you're fine. Breakfast can wait."

But Jungkook wasn't in the mood to answer Hoseok's excited questions and Namjoon's accusations. Instead, he sent a text in the group chat.

I'm fine. Tae and I needed to get away and I left my phone in the car. We're headed to breakfast now.

Breakfast??? Namjoon demanded. You're eating breakfast with a kidnapper?

Jungkook sighed. If anything, *I* kidnapped HIM.

I'm sure he wasn't complaining, Namjoon sent back at lightning speed. >insert sarcasm<

I'm not doing this now, hyung. I'm going to eat breakfast. I'll see you at the rehearsal at six.

ARE YOU FREAKING SERIOUS????

A text from Hoseok popped up. I want details!!! <3

Do NOT encourage him! Namjoon responded.

Is Jin okay? Jungkook asked.

Yeah, he's peeeeeerftectly fine. He's only been bothering me nonstop. He could practically hear the sarcasm oozing from Namjoon.

Jungkook's cell phone rang three seconds later. Sure enough, it was Namjoon. He silenced the phone and tossed it onto the console.

"Problems?"

"Nothing I can't handle." Jungkook put the car in reverse and backed out of their parking spot.

"Shouldn't you call your mother?"