|| eleven ||

Taehyung stayed in the shower until the water turned cold, and then stayed in even longer. If Jungkook kept looking at him with that longing in his eyes, Tae couldn't guarantee he'd keep his hands to himself. Though every part of him demanded he go into the other room and satisfy them both, the sliver of decency still burning inside him demanded that he respect Jungkook enough to keep his hands to himself. So Tae took his time drying off and dressing in a pair of athletic shorts and a T-shirt. When he opened the door, he was prepared for an inner battle of epic proportions.

He took a few steps into the room. Jungkook was huddled under the covers, his eyes closed. His dark hair was splayed on the pillow and his worry lines had ebbed away, leaving a peacefulness Tae hadn't yet seen in Jungkook.

He was asleep.

Taehyung let out a relieved breath. An asleep Jungkook made things easier. Especially since he was still planning to escape the room and search the house for evidence of Jungkook's father's deceit.

Tae cracked open the door and listened for a moment. Voices drifted up the stairs and he recognized one of them as belonging to Jungkook's mother. So the party had moved inside. He could at least search the rooms upstairs, but as Tae started out the door, he heard Jimin's voice on the stairs.

"Are you worn out, Gran?"

"Heavens, no. This was nothing compared to the parties your grandfather and I used to host."

Jimin laughed. "Mom's parties tend to be pretty dull."

"She's more interested in the show than she is about fun."

Jimin laughed again. "Maybe that's why the party's over by ten. Yours always went well into the morning."

"Which is part of the reason why your mother had a fit when she realized what we had you doing."

"I learned some valuable life skills, Gran," he teased.

"Don't say I never did anything for you. Especially when you see your inheritance from me."

Jimin released a long, genuine laugh. "I've missed you, Gran."

"You and Kookie need to come home more often. In spite of what you both think, your mother does love you. She just has a hard time showing it."

"I know, but it's hard to escape the Death Star once you're in its gravitational pull. It's safer to keep a healthy distance." Jimin was silent for a moment. "I still say there's something off about Kookie's fiancé."

"Taehyung? You promised me you'd give him a chance tonight."

"Yeah," he growled. "I did, but now I trust him even less. A guy doesn't just go from being a cold fish to being so affectionate."

"We don't know that he was cold to Kookie. Only suspected."

"We both know, Gran. Did Kookie ever seem happy with Taehyung?"

"No, but people change," Jungkook's grandmother said. "Maybe Taehyung came to his senses and changed. If anything, I trust him more after meeting him. He's good to Kookie, Jiminie. I know you had to notice the way Taehyung was looking at Kookie tonight."

"Yeah, but what's behind the change? Something's up, and I'm going to get to the bottom of it."

Taehyung sucked in a breath. So Hoseok wasn't the only one who'd noticed his attentiveness? That was a good thing, right?

"You need to stay out of your brother's business."

"I've stayed out of it for too long. If Taehyung's marrying him, he'd better love him."