Chapter 9 - A new beginning starting wrong

Hi! I want to thank everyone for encouraging me to go one. It really meant a lot. So this is for you. Thank you and as always Vote, Comment, and Share. : )

The back yard of the Tosseti home was filled with life. It was a beautiful yard, covered with grass, surrounded by trees. Laughter and blissful chatter could be heard from every corner. People were spread throughout talking in small groups. Every so and then someone would move from one group to another, to catch up with old friends and associates. The conversation was kept light. Today was a cause for celebration; it was the wedding anniversary of Don Antonio and Luisa Tosseti. Business could wait for a day.

A group of children was playing hide and seek. While one of them was counting away, the rest were trying to hide. Some would go beneath tables and let the long white table clothes to conceal them from prying eyes. Others found it better to mix themselves with the grown-ups and allow their bodies to hide them. It was fascinating to see them run around, without a care in the world. They were well protected.

Only the teenagers were missing from the picture. It seemed that as soon as they greeted the Don and his wife, they would disappear without a trace. Of course, everyone knew better. They had retrieved to an elusive part of the gardens, hidden away by trees. As far away, from the watchful eyes of their parents as possible.

Further away from the main crowd, a group of six women sat on a bench, beneath a willow tree. They seemed to enjoy each other company. They were full of chatter, playful jokes, and secretive winks. Yet, as close as the group looked there was one that stood out, one that didn't quite fit with the dynamics of the groups.

It didn't surprise Arianna that she was the oddity in the group, the one that didn't exactly belong. It wasn't that any of the girls had turned their backs on her or refused to talk to her. No, they were all quite happy to see her and welcome her back into their fold. Yet it had been about six years since she had seen any of them. And while she once considered them as some of her closest friends, Arianna had come to realize she didn't really know any of them. At least not the women they had grown to be. Even Elena, who she still loved and consider a sister and who Arianna knew, she could trust with her life.

The same went for the girls too. While they wouldn't admit it in front of her, they didn't really know how to be around Arianna. She had changed, that much was clear. She was no longer the girl they had grown to love. Besides, while Arianna was out there traveling the world, the rest of them stuck together, through thick and thin. The dynamics of their group had changed after she had left and they didn't quite know Arianna fit in with them.

For what seemed to be the hundredth time these past few weeks, Arianna wished that Valerie was here. Valerie, with her charismatic character and her witty charm, would have fit right in with the rest of the girls, she would have known what to do, how to act. She had tried to call her so many times, but always she backed down at the last minute. What was she going to tell her? Sorry for lying to you for the past three years? Sorry for getting your brother into trouble? What?Whatever she was going to say, Arianna had to come up with it and soon. She didn't think she could spend a lot more time without talking to her friend. Valerie may not have known her history but she knew the Arianna that she had become, and Arianna loved her for it.

From the corner of her eyes, Arianna noticed Giani DeLucce looking their way. From what she gathered the last few weeks, it was a common secret that Giani and Aurora were in love. Everyone knew it except their families. It didn't matter that Giani had asked Aurora's father to marry her. Their families believed it was nothing, just a man wanting what he could not have. Everyone knew their belief was false, but it was just something no one wished to talk about. Yet, the two did not make it easy. For the past ten minutes, Giani's eyes had been fixated on Aurora, as if he could see nothing else but her. As if Aurora was the light of his world. Aurora herself kept sending him shy glances, while her cheeks turned bright red.