Chapter 8

Faye sat on her new bed, in her new home. Which was just a large bedroom, with a tiny bathroom. There wasn't any place to eat or cook, but according to Marka, there was a specific tree where everyone ate together. And Faye was welcome to all the food she could eat. "Maybe living here won't be so bad," she said.

"They don't know you're a non-human," Jyri reminded her. "You still have to hide."

Faye rested her chin in her hands. "I know."

"Do you think the spell is working?" Jyri asked, inspecting his still-hairy arms. They didn't look as bad as before, though it was hard to tell.

"I think," Faye said. "I can't see the horns."

"Good. Hopefully I can leave this place before sunset." Jyri rubbed the back of his head, eyes on Faye's anklet. "Any chance of that coming off?"

She pulled her foot up across her other leg, and tugged at the cold metal, then shook her head. "I can't even see a seam on it."

"I didn't think so. Only they can remove it." Jyri gave her a wistful smile. "It was nice traveling with you, even if you were a pain sometimes."

"Same to you. There's no chance of you staying?"

"I can't. I'll be found."

"Could you at least tell me why you're on the run?"

Jyri glanced down at her, then pushed his hair out of his face. He focused his attention on a lantern next to her bed, then nodded towards it. "I bet you'll have no problem lighting that every night."

Letting out a groan, Faye buried her face in her knees.

"It's too complicated, okay?" He took a step closer, and clasped his hand on her shoulder. Her body tensed, and he let go. "Just know that, I never meant you harm."

Faye averted her eyes, ignoring choked up sensation in her throat. "What do you mean?"

"You think I haven't noticed you grabbing for your knife all the time?"

"I don't."

"I've seen you sleep with it under your pillow."

Faye poked her foot at the dirt floor. "Can you blame me?"

"I suppose not. But..." He paused. "You've been a good friend. Even if you think I'm out to get you."

Friend? Faye nibbled her lip. "I'll miss you."

Jyri smiled. "Maybe the bad thing will happen soon, and you can catch up with me."

"You move too fast. You'll be in Dorendi by that time."

"Maybe you'll find me there." Jyri's eyes met hers. She swallowed, and he continued. "I plan on sticking around Brenan for a bit. It's not far from the border. When you're done here, if it's not too late, you can find me."

Faye tore away from his gaze, and focused on the wooden walls. "If I ever am. What if nothing ever happens, and I'm stuck here for the rest of my life?"

"You've got food, and shelter. It's better than your previous life."

Faye couldn't argue with that. Before she could respond, someone knocked on the door. She got off the bed, and walked across the room to answer it. Marka stepped inside.

"How are you settling in?" she asked.

"Well enough," Faye said.

Jyri folded his arms, jutting out his chin. "What do you want?"