Chapter 26 - I Miss You

We made it to my house without dying, which is a huge accomplishment - for Jack. I've never been quite comfortable with Jack's driving for various reasons. I mean if you knew just how reckless he actually is, then you'd understand why he had to catch rides with me to and from school everyday before his dad had lost his mind and decided to give his son his old BMW. But as terrible as a driver Jack might be, I have to give him some credit for not killing us tonight in all this fucking snow and I have to admit that he's gotten somewhat better at staying on his own side of the lane.

And by the way, if you're wondering why Jack brought me home is because my car wouldn't start for shit and yeah, so I had no other choice; stay out and wait for a tow truck or a mechanic in the freezing cold and die, or ask Jack for a ride and hope to god that I don't die along the way. But ultimately, I was pretty okay with my car not wanting to start up because to me it was a sign that I had to be with Jack tonight. I don't know how to explain it, but since earlier when Jack had unexpectedly showed up to the same coffee shop, I knew it was destiny.

Jack parked into the driveway, turning off his car completely. We sat in silence for a good five minutes before Jack decided to finally speak up. "Where are your parents?" I knitted my eyebrows together in confusion as I saw no sight of either of my parents cars in the driveway. My first thought was that they were just working late, my mom had mentioned to me that she would in fact be working later than usual tonight. But my dad said nothing of the sort, which had me worrying as soon as I saw how bad the weather was actually getting, that and my dad said he would see me after work. I knew my dad was no baby and that he undoubtably could in fact take care of himself but still I couldn't help but have concern for his well being. For both of my parents well being.

I glanced over at Jack, who was giving me a little bit of a concerned look. I smiled merely at him and his face softened but the look still remained in his features. I then looked away and shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know. Work, I'm guessing." Jack chuckled softly and nodded his head in understanding. "Of course."

It was silent once again, I cleared my throat awkwardly and Jack shifted in his seat as it only approved to grow even more uncomfortable in the - surprisingly tinier than I remember - car.

Then, the silence was being filled with my phone going off, it was muffled from being in my pocket but still loud enough to break the awkward silence within the vehicle. I mentally sighed in relief, thanking God for helping me out with said situation and pulled the device from my jacket pocket. I got a text from my dad, along with several missed calls from both my parents. How in the hell did I miss those?

Dad: Hey son, I hope you're okay. Your mother and I are staying at a hotel room for the night cause we didn't want to risk getting into a car accident as the weather has gotten extremely bad. So we won't be home until tomorrow morning. We love you and contact us back as soon as possible so we know you're safe.

I just shrugged off the inconvenience and slid my phone unlocked to reply.

Alex: Yes, I'm alright. Sorry if I made you guys worry. And okay I'm just glad you guys are safe and I love you guys too. I'll see you in the morning. Night.

I locked my phone soon after the text went trough and stuffed it back into my pocket. Jack sniffled and I immediately drew my attention back to him. I worked up enough courage to invite Jack in after a few moments of just staring idly at him - fantasizing about how it would be like to actually kiss those pink plum lips of his.

"You maybe wanna come inside? I have hot chocolate," I attempted confidently but after the words had left my mouth I realized that I sounded more desperate than confident. I then mentally punched myself in the face and awaited anxiously for his response.