Chapter 44

Things have been......different.

Emily announced quite publicly that she was through with David. I mean like, she climbed on the stage during assembly and stole the mic and spouted a couple of unrepeatable things. Since the breakup things haven't been the same, Nate has kind of abandoned David which is strange with the whole 'bros over hoes' policy that rules the world. But I guess that didn't matter, he was stuck to Emily like glue, the two were unnaturally close now which made me uncomfortable and more like a third wheel than a girlfriend.
David had his friends and changed, he was with a different girl everyday and was throwing parties like if there was no tomorrow. He turned into the guy I've heard about, but I knew it wasn't really him, he was just quite obviously hurting. But he was too stupid to see his was of coping was hurting Emily every time she passed him in the halls, only to see his tongue down some girl's throat.
Matt surprisingly came out the greatest after the party, he was quiet for a few days with the whole stripper pictures, but now he's almost back to his old self. He found a job but still helps out in the shop, he's making fun of Emily again, he and Nate are getting along in their own way and he seems stuck to Zane like some super strong glue.

The balance had shifted and I missed my old group, it wasn't the same. I felt more like the old me before I knew Nate than the new me, who I liked a lot better. The one who went to Belgium, who got a tattoo and danced all day in a damn rave cave. Now I was reading books in the library by myself since nobody was around anymore to talk, I used to talk to David, but it goes without saying that that wasn't an option anymore.

Sighing, I grab my books, deciding to head to my next class since my free period was almost up. I mean I guess the free time was now constructive, my grades went up and I read more books than ever before if that counted for anything. Keeping my head in my book, I walk through the desolate halls before bumping into someone sending my things crashing to the floor.

"Sorry." I say not bothering to look at them as I bend down to gather my things.

"It was my fault." My head snaps up to confirm who I thought it was, staring into David's apologetic brown eyes I freeze a bit. He seems to understand why and continues to pick up my things before handing them to me. "Is she okay?" He asks before he leaves.

"She will be." I offer, he gives me a small smile before walking away, leaving me standing there watching his figure disappear.
When he's no longer in my sights, I head quickly to Math. I had a test today, they were preparing for the SAT's by giving us some insane practice ones. I already had a life plan for myself, I was going to go to Brown University and become a book editor. I chose that school because Serena wanted to go there, though I'd never admit it to anyone. I wanted to talk to Nate about moving across the country but he never seemed to want to talk about the future and he'd just brush it off.

I loved Nate, I really did. But if it came between what I've been working my entire life for or him, I think I knew which I'd pick.

------

"You okay, you're really quite?" Nate asks pushing my book down with his finger so he could see me. I raise my eyes before nodding, he frowns at the action before taking away my book. "Seems like we need to train you again, interact with those around you, remember?"

"Yeah." I mumble before taking out another, putting it in my lap where he couldn't see it.

"So how have you been?" Emily asks making my eyes dart across to her. I think it's really depressing that we haven't talked properly in such a long time that she had to ask.

"Shouldn't I be asking you that?" I ask raising an eyebrow as I take a bite of my awaiting apple.

"I guess, but you've been really quiet lately. I thought it was because of David, you lost a friend and that you needed some time. But you're still in your hole." I stare at her with my mouth slightly open, why was she talking about him like if she wasn't dating him for the last few months? Wasn't she the one who needed time?