Chapter 2

Kisara washed her face over the basin near the river. She tried to get rid of the redness spread over her cheeks. She was about to cry again, her hands immediately covered her eyes, trying to stop the tears. She bent down and immersed her face in a dripping handful of cool water. She looked at her reflection in the water, her eyes almost invisible in the blue of the Nile.

She got dressed, wearing traditional yet simple clothes. She paced around in her room, looking at all the things she used to live among. Her hands touched the wooden table and her bed. She sat down on it, staring around, full of nostalgic memories and feeling the sadness and the helplessness consuming her. But she wasn't afraid anymore; Seth told her: "Don't be afraid"…He was going to help her out…

A maid knocked on the door, and Kisara got up and opened it. "The master wants you down, mistress," said the maid "He is ready…"

Kisara nodded, looking one last time on her bedroom. She wouldn't ever see it again; this room wasn't much, but it was hers. She lived here, dreamt there, sang to herself when she thought about Seth, and the happiness filled her heart. She was there through happy and mournful moments…Was she really going to lose all of this?

Her father waited for her outside, in the carriage hitched to horses. He looked at her, his black eyes narrowing at her red cheeks and trembling bottom-lip. "Stop showing your weaknesses!" he told her harshly "You are not going there to be executed. The Pharaoh has the most powerful empire in this world; He is the King of this earth and the chosen of the gods. Enough with your stupid behaviour." He said, helping her sit next to him. She nodded out of habit, and bowed her head. She stared at her feet during the entire ride to the Pharaoh palace.

Seth was sitting in the royal courtroom, listening to some boring speech. He glanced at the Pharaoh several times, while his fingers silently explored the engravings of his Millennium Rod. He thought about Kisara, hatred and grudge towards the Pharaoh filled his soul. (He is going to take everything I've ever had…I can't let him. I won't let him take Kisara away from me…)

Atemu stood up, the light of the room glowing on his golden jewelries covering his body. He wore his red cloak and looked very impressive. He started talking about their earlier discussion, but Seth couldn't concentrate. He was still worried about Kisara. Atemu's voice creating a hole inside Seth's head, while other feelings and the desire to scream fighting over him, Seth sat silently, his face blank, hiding all the feelings he might have.

Finally Atemu stopped his talks, and dismissed his advisors. Seth got up, he was about to leave; After all, he had a lot of work to do in the Temple. The Pharaoh could dismiss him, but the serving Ra was forever. "Priest Seth…" he heard the voice of the All-Mighty-King behind him "Stay. I have to talk with you." said Atemu behind Seth's back. Seth stopped his pacing and turned around, his Rod in one hand and his cloak waving around him. Atemu looked at him for some time, studying him, and then he signed him to sit in front of his golden throne.

Seth obeyed silently, waiting politely for the Pharaoh to start. Atemu then smiled and leant back. "You see, Seth, yesterday I had found me a beautiful girl to be my wife. She is from a good family. Her father is one of my closest acquaintances, and his daughter is one of the prettiest girl in my kingdom. I want to marry her as soon as possible. I want you to tell when you think it is appropriate to hold the wedding." said Atemu calmly. Seth's rage roared like a hungry dragon inside his core, but he managed to take over his feelings. His face remained calm and blank when he answered "I need to check the stars before I can answer the question. That's not so simple." he said and his hands tightened around the Rod.

"I understand," said Atemu "Do remember to check this, and inform me later. Now, I want you to accompany me. Her father is bringing her to me, and I want you to tell me what you think about my choice." Atemu stood up, Seth was waiting for him to pass him, still full of anger and hate. (Is he doing this on purpose? Does he know about Kisara and me?) thought Seth while silently following the all-mighty Pharaoh. (Kisara…Are you alright?) And the blinks of worry were beating with his heart.