Chapter 9

Tom sighed as he layed his chin on the table. His jacket sleeves covered his view, so he could only see their dark blue color. He heard footsteps approach him and looked up to see his friend, Edd, giving him a worried look.
"Well? You came over here for a reason, I know that." Edd sat diagonal to him at his dining room table. "What's wrong?"
"I've been having the weirdest dreams lately..." Tom started out. "I keep getting memory flashbacks about Tord. You know, back when he was my friend. I just... don't know why the hell they're showing up!" Tom exclaimed, agitated at his own dreams. This had continued on for a few nights, the sketchy version of reality with different memories waiting for him to relive and watch from an outside view. All of them were happy memories, showing him and Tord being nice and freindly to eachother. It bugged him, so he went to his best friend for advice. He really needed it.

"Well, explain the most notable one." Edd stated. Tom thought of the first one he had.
"I went to this drawn version of our house... I saw the memory where Tord pulled my arm out of it's socket and then put it back in." He started to explain quickly. "And then I went to our old school, where we met, and saw a memory I forgot about. Apparently, when we were little, Tord kissed me on the cheek one day in class." Tom looked at his friend to confirm if it was real. Edd nodded.
"Yeah, that's right. I can't believe you forgot that."
"Well, I did." Tom stated, not meaning for it to come out cold. "Anyways... when I got back to the house.. so saw the incident. But it was different. I died in the rubble, and Tord got out of his robot and held my body close, saying he was so sorry for everything..." Tom trailed off, thinking of a way to bring up the ghost without fully doing that. He finally thought of an idea. "And I heard Tord's voice... saying that he would have done that if it was real... and that I didn't care... like I killed him." Tom gulped and looked at Edd. He knew that would hit his friend hard, since he always thought Tord was alive. Surprisingly, he just nodded.

"Well? What can it mean?" Tom asked after a few minutes of silence passed between the two. Edd gulped slightly and looked him dead in the eyes.
   "Can I be honest with you?"
   "Yeah, of course you can."
   "I think you miss Tord." Edd stated. Tom nodded.
   "Uh huh.... sure. Miss him how?"
   "You were his friend before. And now he's just gone. He may be dead, for all we know." Edd sounded a little bit too cold, which made Tom flinch. "You miss him. You want him to be back in the group. You want to know something I learned from Tord?"
   "What did you learn..?" Tom asked, relieved that his voice seemed to be softening.
   "I know he seemed like he hated you... but he told me that he loved you."
   "You're serious?"  
   "As serious as I can ever be." Edd sounded like he meant it. "He took me aside one day and told me to never tell you, to which I agreed with. Until now." 
   Tom stayed silent and got up, nodding. Edd was about to ask him if he was ok before the Brit left, walking back to his apartment.

   Edd was right. Tom missed Tord. He wanted him to be back. Back with them and fighting with Tom daily. But, unlike Edd and Matt thought, he knew it could never happen. Tord was dead, either from the explosion or something else. Tom was just confused as to why Tord kept telling him that he would pay. Sure, he had a hand in Tord's murder, but he didn't kill him directly.

Right?

(I love this book because it's just been non stop cliffhangers)