I Really Wanna Know

"I can't say it surprises me, at this point." Alex answered.

"What do you mean?"

Alex shook her head in response. "So let me guess, you're gonna go to school with me?"

Crazy psycho... Alex thought to herself.

Mitchie smiled. "Nope."

Alex raised her eyebrows. "So, um...?"

She didn't even really want to know what was going on in that head of Mitchie's.

"Neither of us are going." Mitchie replied.

"The hell I'm not, Mitchie! I can't just skip school and get away with it like you. I mean, what? Do you have all your teachers blackmailed to not fail you or something?" Alex challenged her.

Mitchie laughed. "I'm flattered you believe I would be capable of something like that, but I'm not quite that good."

She sighed. "I am enrolled, I just don't feel like going when I know I'll just end up transferring to another school in a few months or less."

Alex cocked her head. "How do you know that for sure?"

Mitchie shrugged. "I never last long with foster parents."

"Well maybe if you acted normal, they wouldn't-"

"Shut up, Alex." Mitchie cut her off. "You have no idea what it's like. Just shut up."

Alex rolled her eyes. Yes, she supposed she didn't know what it was like to go from parents to parents like Mitchie had - if this wasn't another lie of hers anyway - but still the way she'd sabotaged her life in the past few weeks made it hard for her to care too much.

"Whatever. Where are we going?"

Mitchie brightened. "You're gonna skip school?"

Alex shook her head. "I'm sure you're gonna break something else in my house if I refuse, am I right? So whatever, I'll figure out how to make up what I missed." They were still in her neighborhood, so she pulled the car over to the side of the street. "But I hate not knowing where I'm going, so where did you want to go?"

Mitchie frowned. "I'm sorry about the mirror. I feel really bad about it. I'm not gonna break anything else."

What? Mitchie's tone was even different when she said it. It almost made Alex think she was being legitimately sincere, but no; she couldn't risk letting her guard down again with Mitchie.

"I'll believe that when it doesn't happen again." Alex said, simply.

"No, Alex... I'm trying to apologize. Let me. Please."

Alex threw her hands up. "Can you not understand why I might not believe you, Mitchie? Just think about everything else you've done recently. Excuse me for being cautious."

Mitchie nodded. "I know. I got carried away. I really want to try to be different now."

What the hell was this? Alex was very confused. This was a completely different girl than the same one who had threatened her over text the previous night if she didn't cut her knuckles with broken glass.

Alex turned her head to look at Mitchie. "What caused this sudden change of heart? Because not even 10 minutes ago you were trying to get my dad to help you fix your car because you want to flirt with him or something. I don't know what your angle is anymore. I never have, to be honest."

Mitchie broke eye contact. "Fine. So you're not gonna let me apologize?"

"You can apologize, but you also have to understand why I might not believe you're being sincere."