Live a Little

Author's Note:  Two updates in one night! Don't get too used to that, just had a good writing streak tonight ;)

-

She dashed towards it. This was the opportunity to finally get some answers! Mitchie had finally slipped up!

She discovered it was an old flip phone. No lock screen like most smart phones had these days. What luck. But also kinda weird. How didn't she have a newer phone?

Oh well, no time to debate all that. She flipped it open and frantically tried to navigate the archaic menus to find what the number was. She almost cried out in excitement when she found it. She quickly pulled out her phone and took a picture of the screen so she could put it in later.

Hah! No more unknown texts! She felt so victorious.

She tried to set the phone down the way it was when Mitchie left, and then sat back down on the couch.

A few minutes passed and Mitchie hadn't returned. She eyed the phone again. Well, she'd hear the toilet flush or at least the door open when Mitchie was coming back right? She had time to do some snooping.

She grabbed the phone and flipped it open once more, and found the messages section. It was blank. Mitchie had most likely deleted the texts. Of course. She didn't know what she expected to find.

She closed it again and set it back down where Mitchie was sitting.

Another several minutes went by. Well okay, I guess she really had to go like she said, Alex justified.

Alex started to focus on the movie that was on the TV while she waited.

After she realized another twenty minutes had gone by, she started to get suspicious.

"Mitchie! Are you doing okay in there?" She called out, turning down the volume on the TV.

No response.

If you fucking tell me she's not in the bathroom... Alex groaned to herself, getting up to go check.

"Mitchie!" She called out again as she rounded the corner of the living room to the downstairs hall where the bathroom was.

The door to the bathroom was closed and the light was on.

"Mitchie." Alex said, in a more normal volume since she was right by the door. "Are you okay?"

Nothing.

"For fuck's sake..." Alex grumbled. She placed her hand on the knob and slowly turned it, and then discovered it was open. Should she open it? What if Mitchie was really in there?

"Mitchie, I'm coming in. So if you can hear me, this is your warning."

Alex shielded her eyes partially as she opened the door slowly. "Mitchie?"

Mitchie wasn't in the bathroom.

"Goddamnit!" Alex shouted.

What was in the bathroom however, was a message written in what appeared to be toothpaste on the mirror:

Hide and seek? ;)

Alex shook her head violently and gritted her teeth. That was it! There was no trusting literally anything Mitchie said or where she said she needed to go.

"This isn't funny Mitchie!" Alex called out. "I don't want to play hide and seek! Just come back to the living room!"

She walked back around to the living room and found the TV was turned off. Also, Mitchie's phone was no longer on the couch.