Take Me to Your Room

"What?" Alex swallowed.

Mitchie just stared at her for a second, then burst out laughing. "I'm kidding! I know you'd never do that, silly. I got you good."

Yeah... Alex thought. Definitely got me good. Her heart was beating so fast.

"Yeah..." She tried to feign laughter. "That was a good one."

"Wow though, I never realized my curtains were open like that. If you wanted to you could see pretty much anything, couldn't you?" Mitchie observed, looking through the window.

Alex felt her stomach drop. Was this some kind of reverse psychology? Was Mitchie trying to get her to admit something? She should just confess shouldn't she? Especially after that dream last night...

"Mitchie, I-"

"I know, Alex! I wouldn't know how to respond to that either. I'm just messing with you." Mitchie laughed again.

Alex decided not to press the issue. If Mitchie was so sure nothing had happened, then she would let it go. She just wouldn't watch her anymore, right? That was the right thing to do. That was the moral thing to do.

"Anyway..." Mitchie didn't wait for a response. "Do you mind if I use your bathroom really quick?"

Alex found it funny how all of a sudden she was asking for permission as if she hadn't gone into her parents' room without permission. But she wasn't gonna bring it up again.

"Yeah sure, go for it."

Mitchie went into the bathroom that was an addition to Alex's room and closed the door.

"So, are you gonna show me around town sometime? Seeing as I'm new and all?" Mitchie called from the bathroom.

"Uh, sure!" Alex called back. "I mean... I don't really go out much so..."

"Right, because you have no friends, right?"

That question, albeit true, stung the same way the previous thing Mitchie had said to her. Was she really that insensitive, or she just didn't care about offending people?

"I mean I have a couple..." Alex fired back, slightly mad.

"Oh, come on Alex..." Mitchie seemed to be teasing her, "You just let a complete stranger in your house from next door. I'd say you're pretty desperate."

"Hey! You asked me to hang out, not vice versa! I'm just being nice! You know what, Mitchie? I don't-"

Mitchie cut her off. "Girl, chill. Don't get your panties in a twist. I'm just fucking with you. Like I said, you need to learn to relax."

Alex did admittedly feel better at hearing it was just a joke, but at the same time she was still hurt by Mitchie's words.

"I guess I haven't had a friend before that was so willing to insult me, is all." Alex retorted.

"That's what friends do! They give each other a hard time. I don't mean anything by it, I promise, okay?"

Alex was pretty sure this wasn't the definition of a friend, but the last time she'd had someone over was way before high school. She knew her parents were concerned about that. So maybe Mitchie was her only option at this point.

"Okay, okay... I believe you. You're right. I'm not used to having a friend." Alex confessed.

"Don't worry, Alex. Before you know it, you and I will know absolutely everything about each other. I promise."