I Will Follow You Into The Dark - Eren x Levi

For the first time in his life, Levi could finally describe his feelings as more than content. He had never been one to say much about himself, and thats because there wasn't much to say in his opinion. But when Eren's bright eyes stared back at him, he could list millions of reasons why he was perfectly happy.

Eren was his source of happiness.

Levi could be himself around Eren, always using smart but playful remarks and taunting him with small smirks that could pass as a smile.

Levi and Eren just loved each other so god damn much and nothing could ever bring the two apart.

On particularly calm nights, Eren and Levi would sit up on top of the roof of the highest tower and look at the stars.

"And that star," Levi calmly whispered, "Reminds me of Petra. She was the one who brought the squad together. Always smiling and shit."

Eren had a distant look of hurt in his eyes. He knew he was the reason why Levi's squad had died, no matter how many times Levi told him otherwise. But this was quickly replaced with a sad smile as other memories flooded his mind.

Eren pointed at a small star that shone brightly among the rest.

"That star reminds me of my mother, because she was always happy.. even when everyone else wasn't."

They sat together in a comfortable silence and remembered sentimental memories that meant more to them than most other things.

Down below, the faint sound of an acoustic guitar roughly strums through the atmosphere. Eren listened close to the lyrics and looked up at Levi, who was resting his chin upon Eren's chestnut hair.

"Y'know, I'd follow you anywhere."

Levi listened to the lyrics closely as well and smiled before placing a kiss on Eren's lips.

And from that night forward, that song,

became their song.

One day, the Survey Corps set out on a mission outside of the walls. Eren got horribly injured, almost causing him to die. Levi has never been so scared in his entire fucking life, and when he found out Eren was okay, he was relieved but angry that Eren would scare him like that. Levi had been a sobbing mess for the past few hours and wasn't sure how he would be able to live without Eren at his side.

"Don't you ever fucking do that to me again, do you understand?"

Eren gently wrapped his arms around Levi and quietly says, "Never again." while kissing Levi's forehead and comforting him.

His promise meant more to Levi than Eren could ever imagine.

And it isn't until two years later when everything has gone to shit.

Eren and Levi have lost countless friends and humanity is still losing

to the titans.

They had been riding back from a mission when suddenly, a pack of aberrants attack them out of no where.

Levi hears Eren's screaming and turns his head only to watch in horror as Eren is picked up off of his horse by a titan. They had just reached the gate and were already closing it. The last thing Levi sees is Eren struggling against the strong grip of the titan and then he hears a sickening crunch.

Levi screamed and begged for them to open the gate but it is highly unsafe and they are very sorry but,

Eren is gone.

And he hasn't done it in ages, but Levi didn't know what else to do. Not only has he lost his squad, his men, and friends, but he has lost the love of his life.

He locked himself in a room and just screams and breaks things and cries in a depressing rage. If he had just saved Eren in time, he could be holding him right now instead of mourning him. Oh god, how much he fucking missed Eren.

His mind filled with images of Eren's stunning turquoise eyes and his soft hair and innocent looks. And he wanted to see it again at least one more time.

At the end of Levi's rage, he takes a deep breath and falls back against a wall, slowly sliding down it only to sit on the dirty wooden flooring. His mind is spinning with memories of Eren and all the times they had spent together.

And he sobs.

But they aren't just full out sobs, they are the pitiful, broken noises of hurt and loneliness.

And then he remembers that song. That stupid fucking song that meant so much to them. But now its just a melody that forever haunts him, and it became nothing more than a broken tune

with a sad ending.

//Notes

I haven't posted a story in a while, I apologize! Here's an angsty story inspired by a post off of Tumblr I found. I listened to "I Will Follow You Into the Dark - Music Box Version" while writing this and that kind of set the mood. I am still working on my modern au Ereri fanfiction! I'm just a little busy with catching up on some Ereri fanfictions I'm reading. I recommend reading "The Intern" and "Help Me Stand" on ArchiveOfOurOwn.org

Agh. They are perfect. Anyways, thanks for reading! c:

~Rin