16. Guardian Angel

Start from the beginning

Ashlyn breathes heavily into the phone as I hear her racing up the stairs again with more determination, "Not good..." she pants.

"What?" I demand, wishing I was there to help.

"Golem." She gasps out between breathes.

My grip tightens on the phone, "Pick a floor and find a window... NOW."

"I'm trying!" She snaps back.

I take a breath, calming myself and wait. I hear a door beep then open followed by something being smashed and broken, "Now he can't open the door unless he breaks it down."

I relax only slightly, "Good." That'll buy her a few seconds at least, but she needs a weapon.

"It's a lab..." Ashlyn says as I hear her race across the room opening two more doors, "Ok... ok... uh... where am I? Where is this?"

"Describe it." I command, preparing myself for the details.

"Out the window I can see a lot of tall buildings, one of which has triangular inverted windows about 4 miles away, I can see a forested park to the left of the business area. To the right is some sort of shopping district by the look of the buildings and street lights... there's a cafe down there with green and yellow lights, a cursive sign... Kait's? It's hard to make out." She reports.

I hand the cabbie more money and ramble off an address, "Ash, when you get out head towards that shopping district, the cafe."

Ashlyn chuckles, "Easier said than done..."

I hear her yell and then glass shattering.

"Ash?!" I shout, concerned.

She sighs, "Don't get your bathrobe in a twist... I was just breaking the window with a chair, not plummeting to my death... uh yet."

"You're going to jump?" I whisper quietly, noticing the glances the cabbie is giving me.

"There's a nice comfy tree below, so don't worry." She says before I hear her run forward and crash into what sounds like a very leafy tree. A few branches can be heard breaking in the process. Then a loud snap and I hear the phone hit the ground. Then something hitting the ground near the phone. There's a pause.

"Sorry, Sherlock... I dropped you." Ashlyn grimaces painfully, obviously trying to mask the amount of pain she's in. She starts running again, "I can be there in 15 minutes or so."

"I should be there in under 20, find a hiding spot when you get there." I order.

Ashlyn pauses thinking, "I'll be near the cafe somewhere... Sherlock, I have to ditch this phone... it's most likely being tracked. It's not safe."

"No... it doesn't matter-" I start, She thinks it could be a trap for me, she wants to protect me. The Golem will be hunting for her...

My phone beeps as I lose the call and I sigh, pocketing my phone, leaning toward the cabbie, "I'll pay you double to run every red light and go over the speed limit. I'll also pay any fines you receive if we're caught."

~Ashlyn's POV

Reaching the shopping area, I immediately duck into the intricate alleyway system, moving through the shadows. I could feel the exhaustion taking its toll on my body from the long run here, I didn't have much left to give. I knew I wasn't in the clear yet, Moriarty wouldn't possibly let me go. He must be working an angle, the Golem had taken it easy on me back in the stairwell, he had orders from Moriarty of course... but what were the orders?

Part of my jumpsuit rips as I snag on a large metal bin by the wall, ripping the torn fabric off I drop it on the ground. The cafe was a few shops away now.