Chapter 50 - The Letter: Part II

"Mr. King, your son's here demanding to see you." Edward's executive assistant whispered to him as the board of directors continually discussed the issue they were having with the company's budget.

"Tell him I'm in a middle of a very important meeting." He dismissed him and returned his attention back on the discussion.

"But sir-" He was about to explain how his son couldn't take a no for an answer when he was interrupted by Mason, himself, entering the room.

The room grew eerily silent as they all stared at Mason. "I sincerely apologize for cutting this meeting short, ladies and gentlemen. But will it be alright if I speak with my father? Just a small family matter." He informed them.

Edward felt a bit embarrassed by his son's unprofessional act in front of the board of directors and he was ready to give him an earful. "That's quite alright, Edward. Family first, right?" One of the directors told him and shot him a reassuring smile.

Edward forced a smile on his face before speaking. "I am truly sorry, everyone. Let's reschedule another meeting, shall we? But for now, meeting adjourn." He dismissed as they all rise from their seats and took their belongings. They left the room walking pass Mason, greeting him on the way.

"Sir, just a reminder that you have a two o'clock appointment with the head of operations." His assistant informed him before leaving the room.

"You heard him." Edward told Mason nonchalantly, not sparing him a glance. "You've got exactly thirty minutes to tell me whatever it is that is so important that you had to postpone my meeting."

Mason didn't respond to him. Instead, he threw the letter on the table, landing in front of Edward's view. Edward eyed the old-looking paper and recognition settled inside of him. He didn't know whether he should be nervous or ashamed that Mason knew what the content of the letter was about.

Edward gulped and kept his eyes on the letter, wishing it would disappear and get swallowed by the table. "Where'd you get this?" He gently spoke without any trace of his cold and intimidating tone he usually had when he spoke with his son.

Mason was taken a back by his sudden change of light and he was uncertain of what to think of him. Since he had read the letter, Mason was no longer sure if the father he had grown to hate was the real Edward King or if he had always been in disguised in front of him.

"Does it matter where I got it from?" Mason retorted. "I want an explanation. No, I need an explanation." He corrected himself as he studied his father who was still boring his eyes on the letter. "I want to know the truth, Dad. I need to hear the whole truth. That's at least what I deserve."

Edward stood from his seat and took the letter in his hand. He leaned on the edge of the table in order to face his son. He didn't know where to begin. He never really thought that there would come a point where he would explain the whole story to his son. He was ready to keep this a secret from him until he reached his grave. But seeing the confusion and turmoil it had brought his son, Edward knew that he had to tell him everything, the whole truth that would certainly change the story Mason had believed in for the last two decades of his life.

"Everything on the letter is true." Edward admitted. "I had to leave my family for a while in order to protect you. I had to, you're my son. And no matter what happens, Mason, you will always be my son." He nonchalantly told him.

"Was that the reason why you tried sending my mother and I away? So you could 'protect' me?" Mason venomously questioned him, quoting the word protect with his fingers.