Chapter 33 - Fall

Chapter 33 - Fall

Kelsey didn't feel like going upstairs. She was frightened of what kind of monster would jump at her if she showed her face. She tried lying on the couch again to get some sleep but she just really couldn't get herself to peacefully rest. Mason's words rang in her head repeatedly, breaking every bits and pieces of her heart that was already shattered. She silently cried for an hour and when her sobs died out, she remained laying on her back staring at the ceiling.

She glanced at the wall-clock and it was only four-thirty in the morning. Giving up on the idea of sleep, she rose from the couch and went to the bathroom. She splashed her face with water to completely wake her and brushed her teeth. She patted her hair down and smoothened the crown of her head. Looking at her reflection on the mirror, she couldn't help by sigh by her unpleasant appearance. The bags under her eyes were more visible than ever, her eyes were puffy and the hint of painful tears left a red tint in her eyes.

Kelsey knew what she needed and it always seemed to calm her down. 'A stroll to the park, it is.' She thought as she grabbed the key from her pouch from last night and existed the door.

Since it was only four-thirty, it was still dark outside and the only visible lights were the ones from the posts and some stores that are 24-hours open like Shoppers drug mart. The condominium was in the city but it wasn't really directly out on the street. The condo was in a quiet, peaceful street that was a bit isolated from the noise and chaos of the city. It was placed beside a few houses and a couple of stores. But overall, the street was silent.

There was a park two blocks away from the condominium. Usually, Kelsey always felt terrified going out when it was dark. She didn't know why but at the moment, she didn't feel scared. In fact, she was determined to go out and walk more than ever. It was a bit chilly outside but she embraced the coldness of the breeze. Once she had reached the park, she sat on one of the swings and started swaying softly. She kind of missed the feeling of being a kid. No problems, carefree. She suddenly had the urge to go back in time when she used to played in the sandbox with her playmate.

"No, I said a castle, Ems! We have to make a castle!" Her five-year-old-self said to the cute, older boy playing with some old cardboard box.

"But I wanna build a car..." He whined in response as he continued folding the cardboard box into the shape of a car.

"But, but-" Kelsey tried looking for the right words to say. Frustrated with herself, she then started tearing up until tears streamed down her face.

The handsome boy was quick in his feet and wrapped his thin arms around her for comfort. "I'm sorry, Kace! Okay, we'll build the castle. Please stop crying." He shushed her as he shot her a smile. It wasn't just any normal smile. It was a smile that was so innocent, real, and sincere. A smile full of honesty and assurance and it brought comfort to Kelsey.

"Really?" Kelsey asked with her widen big round eyes, her lip pouted in an adorable way.

"Really. Let's go!" He answered as they started building the castle.

"I knew it was you." A husky voice announced snapping her out of her trance. She turned towards him as he sat down on the swing beside her's.

"What are you doing here?" She asked him with furrowed brows.

Brandon smiled at her and placed the plastic bag he was holding beside his face. "I did some shopping." Kelsey eyed the bag with scrutinizing gaze as if asking him what was inside. "It's cookies n' cream ice cream." He answered.

"You need ice cream at four-thirty in the morning?" She asked him with amuse eyes.

Brandon simply shrugged his shoulders and smiled. "What about you? Why is a beautiful woman like you out in the dark alone by yourself?"