Chapter 2 - The Plan

Chapter 2

The next morning, Kelsey woke up with a groan. "Wake up, Kelsey!" An annoying voice yelled as the bed continued to bounce up and down. "Wakey, wakes!"

"5 more minutes!" She said burying her head on her pillow and threw the covers back on herself. Unfortunately, someone took the covers off and the cold wind blew meeting her pale skin.

"C'mon, mom already left and you promise we are going to look after Kyle." He said as he sat on the bed and hung his head low. When Kelsey felt the stillness on the bed and quietness of her brother, she quickly sat up. She suddenly regretted ignoring him because the tears that were forming in his eyes melted her heart. She rushed to him and cuddled him between her arms.

"I'm sorry, I promise we'll go. C'mon, don't cry." She shushed him as she rocked them back and forth. Tears flooded his cheeks and guilt ate Kelsey as she heard him sob quietly. "No baby, please don't cry."

"Is he going to get better? When is he coming home?" He asked looking up with his tear-filled eyes. Kelsey didn't have the heart to tell him that Kyle might not be going home anytime soon. He still needed to do at least four more chemotherapies. Kelsey felt crushed staring at her brokenhearted brother. He might not be related to them by blood, but in their hearts, they love him equally like he belonged to the family.

"Of course he's going to get better. And I'm sure he'll come home soon. Just keep praying, okay?" Kelsey said softly as she played with the end of his blonde locks.

"Okay." He whispered nodding his head. Kelsey let go of him and hold on his shoulders. "Listen to me, pal, Kyle is a fighter. Remember that he's the brave soldier in this house. He will never stop fighting and I'm sure he wouldn't let anything get to him. I'm sure that he'll be fine." She said encouragingly.

Ace wiped his tears with the back of his hand and smiled at Kelsey but it didn't quite reach his eyes. "Yeah, he is brave and strong." He agreed.

"Exactly, I'm sure he'll fight this off too." Kelsey smiled back and kissed his temple. She started tickling him and giggles filled the air. They continued to tickle each other for almost five minutes until Kelsey's phone rang.

She quickly fixed herself up and gave Ace another sloppy kiss on the cheek. She got her phone from her bedside table and answered it.

"Hey, mom. How's everything so far?" She asked as she regarded Ace at the bed, who was exhausted and panting hard.

"Everything's fine, sweetheart. I just wanted to know if you and Ace are still coming."

"Of course we're coming, mom. We'll support Kyle all the way. Tell him I'll bring him some cookies from Mrs. Freeman."

"Oh, delightful! I'm sure he'll wait for you guys. Come early because his therapy starts at exactly eleven o'clock." She informed her.

"Got it. We'll be there in a jiffy." She said mimicking a British accent.

"Alright, tell Ace to eat a proper breakfast, okay? No more cookies in the morning."

"Yes, ma'am, I will most certainly tell him. Tell Kyle we'll be there soon."

"Alright, see you."

"Bye mom."

"Bye mom!" Ace shouted over the phone.

"Bye, you guys. Love you!" Her mother chuckled hearing Ace's enthusiastic voice over the phone.

"We love you too!" Kelsey said as she hung up the phone. Ace started to hop off the bed and his big grin was once again plastered on his face.