Nicky grinned at me as I pulled up beside the group. She threw her arms wide and proclaimed, "Aha! My chauffeur has arrived!"

"For that, you should be the one on foot this time."

"I'd need some coffee to pull that one off."

"You aren't allowed coffee."

"Then I guess I'm driving." She walked over and paused to wave at the group she was deserting. "Have fun! I'll see you later."

Several waved back, although most kept scouring the grass and trees for mushrooms, berries, or anything edible, medicinal, or useful. I got off the quad so she could drive.

"Where's your basket?" I asked, noticing everyone else had a basket holding whatever they had gathered.

"I got tired of picking mushrooms, and there's no point in carrying a basket when I know no berry is going to last long enough to go in it."

It was as Hank and I had assumed: she was a terrible berry picker if you wanted her to share the bounty. It was a good way to distract her and keep her from causing mischief, but that was about it.

As I started jogging back to the road, Nicky spun a few donuts behind me and got stuck on a log, which forced her to get off and push it free. After that, she finally caught up and drove beside me like a sane human, chattering about what she had been told about various types of mushrooms and how to tell them apart.

"-that one can even make you hallucinate! And empty your stomach contents all over whatever might be in the immediate vicinity."

"With talk like that, I'm glad I'm a zombie. Please tell me you didn't pick any of those."

"Despite my best efforts, I couldn't even find one."

How fortunate we were. "Do I want to know what you would have done with it if you had?"

She tilted her head. "I'm actually not sure. I'll have to think about it in case I ever see one in the future."

I really wished some people would think before telling Nicky certain details. Her penchant for mischief and utter disregard for safety was an unfortunate combination.

After scanning the area to ensure we were alone, I ventured into the topic that had been lingering in my mind since last night. "Nicky?"

She glanced at me. "Yeah?"

"At the truck stop, what happened after I blacked out? I don't remember anything after I got shot in the head."

She gazed up at the clouds thoughtfully. "I still can't believe that fight. I didn't know you could move that fast. After the guy shot you in the head, you kind of just collapsed mid-run. He started walking toward you with a sword, but Daniel charged through a window and killed him. Daniel also killed two others who tried to grab the rifles."

"He told me that some of them got away." My lips twisted.

"That would be the three who ran away when you attacked. They had a van out back and disappeared like farts in the wind. After Daniel untied everyone, Hank and Ben went to find the truck part we needed. Your blood was all over, so Daniel slid you onto a tarp to make it easier to move you."

"I assume someone found the diesel I hid along the edge of the trees?"

"Yeah. Nina saw you leave it there. Ben and Hank put it in a car and went to fix the truck and grab our supplies. While they were gone, I explored the house and found the jail cell inside. It seemed perfect. We weren't sure how long you would remain unconscious, and most of us had heard rumors about what head injuries could do to sane zombies."