"YOU! I KNEW IT!!", the hateful red-headed hunter appeared and immediately lunged for Ceri. I growled and went to attack her, but the Aella behind me struck me on the back of the head, making me sink on my knee. Luckily, that Preeta woman held the red-headed one back. Ceri looked alarmed and he quickly retreated to hold onto a tree, prepared to use it as a shield if needed.

"Rhonwen-", Trin tried to reason with the now fifth Aella hunter to escort us, but this one wasn't having any of it

"I knew it the second Cailyn asked about you!! I cannot believe how much trouble we let you cause to the clan since the day your mother birthed you, you fatherless vermin!!"

"This is not the time nor the place. We have a mission here-"

"A mission???", Rhonwen spat back, and then she turned to sneer at Ceri behind the two Aellas blocking her way, "Do you have any IDEA how much trouble you've caused this time! How many Leaders do you want to see falling before you realize your doings!"

Leaders falling?

"That has nothing to do with hi-"

"IT HAS EVERYTHING TO DO WITH HIM!! What proof do you need before you decide to protect the clan! Look around you, Aellas! His mere presence right here isn't enough for you?"

She wasn't making a lot of sense to me, but Preeta looked over her shoulder at Ceri. She seemed to agree with some of what Rhonwen said, if not all of it.

Tell them, Ceri! Tell them what happened!!!

Rhonwen noticed Preeta's hesitation and she tried to draw her more to her side.

"Preeta, the oath we took as Aella-hunters, the oath we stake our lives for every day, it is to protect the Aellas and not the other clan. Halina protected him over her own, Sosanbra did the same and look at where we are today!"

Preeta stared at Rhonwen. Her gaze settling on me afterward. Her intensifying glare didn't affect me in the least, but my heartbeat picked up when it shifted to Ceri.

Why are you silent! I groaned and tried to go to him, but the tip of Emer's spear made me rescind the steps I took. I grunted again, not to the Aellas, but to my mate who quietly kept his gaze lowered.

This was not the time to fear their presence. This wasn't the time to be shy or weak and unable to answer! This was the time to talk! This was the time to reveal what that heartless Aella did to you! An Aella who was trailing behind us in ominous silence!

Expose her and ask that she'd be ended for her cruelty!

"Preeta", the Aella behind me said trying to calm her friend, "We have the truth to uncover before we take action"

"Or we could cut their heads off and go home to our children for the first time in a while. What do you think, Drita?", she asked, eager to get the hunter on her side. But she received no reply from her.

Trin stuck her spear to the ground in a threatening thud, and then she puffed her stance and faced Preeta and Rhonwen.

"We follow our customs as usual."

"And take them to the other Aellas?? They were idiot enough not to find them, so we just lead their way, is that it?"

"Don't use that tone with me Aella!" Preeta seemed to reconsider upsetting the older hunter. Trin didn't give her time to answer. She continued with an authoritarian tone, "We'll take them to the bottom of the mountain. We'll keep them in the snares while one of you informs the rest of the clan with the facts."

Preeta scoffed, "You're still asking about the facts???"

"Yes, Preeta. I will ask about the facts. Because unless you're blind, it is obvious that this isn't just another Aello trying to mate with one of ours! Look at him!!!" All eyes settled on Ceri who indeed looked in a horrible shape. "We'll inform the Leader of the facts and she'll make a decision that we will enforce."