Aftermath

Ceri

Ceri

I waited for the buckets to fill with sweet water. My fingers traveled under the running spring as I hummed a happy tone. In my daze, I only realized the buckets were full after they overflew. I grabbed their handles and carried them into the wide cave. Still singing low, I poured the water in the drinking container. I stood on the tips of my toes to check it; it was quite full, so I set the buckets beside it and covered it.

I looked around me; I still had a lot of work to do. For some reason, I was too happy to care. I smiled warmly, just because I felt like it. And then I started cleaning; nothing much, just wiping the dust here and there, focusing on the area around the Leader's bed and my aunt's. I also cleaned the places where I knew their Aellas wouldn't mind me touching their things.

A smile tugged my lips as a memory teased me. I closed my eyes and followed it; as predicted I was in Ithel's den. He went to catch my favorite fish and I decided to clean his den while waiting for him. His den was very easy to clean; he didn't really keep much around. And when I finished, it was probably the first time in my life that I regretted not having more work to do. He came back to find everything folded neatly and put aside, his hunting tools wiped and hung on the side of the cave, and the clothes he changed from this morning already washed and spread under the sun to dry. The look on his face was so precious. He hung the fishes aside and pulled me into a searing kiss.

"You didn't have to", he said

"I wanted to"

"Ceri... you're the best Aella ever" and he kissed me again. That day we had lunch late... very late

I chuckled and tried to control the heat that I felt seeping to my face.

When I thought I cleaned enough, I noticed it was the afternoon already. I looked at the pile of wood that we used mainly for cooking; I had to cut more. I grabbed an axe and headed outside the cave. A few large pieces of wood were kept aside. I pulled one of them and set it on a rock. Then I used the axe to cut smaller pieces from it. I sighed dreamily as the image of Ithel's taut muscles materialized before my eyes. It felt so vivid that I was tempted to reach forward and touch him, maybe walk my fingers on the perfect line of his strong hips. The image started moving; His tall figure and strong arms, lifting a large axe and letting it fall on a branch. Unlike me, each piece of wood surrendered and knelt before him after only one hit. I remember him refusing to let me cut wood. And when I pouted, he let me gather the pieces on the ground before we went back to his den.

I examined the pile of wood scattered around. I was so caught in my sweet thoughts; I actually cut more than I planned. I sighed and wiped a string of sweat off my forehead. I looked up at the sun. The Aellas will be back soon, I better go wash myself before they come back.

I came home in the morning to avoid being discovered by the Aellas, who usually came back around sunset.

I gathered the pieces of wood and piled them beside the cave. I put the axe back in its place, and then I hurried to the spring of water with a skip in my step.