Chapter Twenty Three - Part One

Zacznij od początku

When I looked up Dustin's fist connected with Mr. King's face. He quickly shook off the punch and spat out blood.

"Get out!" Dustin yelled, pointing to the door. "Leave!" His shoulders were tense, even though I couldn't see his face I could tell he was fuming.

Mr. King fought back, his fist barrelled towards Dustin. I gasped, ready to hear a crunch but it never came. Dustin caught his fist and shoved him towards the door.

"Leave! And don't come back!" Mr. King took one last look at Dustin, and left.

Dustin raced towards me.

"Wait, wait... Watch the glass." I warned him, feeling tears against lips. I didn't even know I was crying.

He ignored me, stepping right over the glass. His hands grazed my face and traced bruise forming on my neck.

"I'm alright, I'm okay." I sputtered, clearing my throat. Lifting my hands to see shards of glass still stuck in my skin.

"You're not okay..." Dustin muttered and scooped me up. "Is there a first aid kit?" He asked, keeping himself busy after he set me down on a bench.

"Um yeah. In the bathroom under the sink." I muttered, not waiting for him to pull out the shards. I couldn't let him look at me, like somehow he was the one who hurt me, again.

"What are you doing?" Instead he just looked at me like I was crazy.

"It didn't hurt. See? All better." I held up my hands, showing him the cuts were only minimal, just drawing blood.

He sighed and put the first aid kit aside. He knelt in front of me.

"Let me help." He muttered, finding alcohol wipes in the first aid kit and gause. I sighed and nodded. "Tell me if it hurts."

Gently, he cleaned and wrapped my hands. Both of us stayed silent. There were so many things I wanted to say, but I couldn't bring myself to say any of it.

Mr. King had filled in the missing pieces.

"I'm so sorry, Lydia." He whispered.

"Hey... What are you sorry for? This isn't your fault." I tilted his chin so he was looking at me.

"Not my fault? My Dad did this to you. That makes it my fault." I could hear anger slowly rising in his voice.

"You're right. Your Dad did this, not you." I said confidently but he didn't believe me. He jumped up.

"But I brought you into this, into my life. I put you in danger." He didn't look at me. He kicked the garbage can, sending it across the room.

"Hey..." I walked up behind him, running my hands over his back. "It's my choice Dustin, I choose you." I felt him relax and I pulled him around to face me.

"I don't want you to get hurt." He muttered, his eyes locked on my neck.

"I don't want you to get hurt either Dustin." I put my hand in his, keeping him steady. "He hurts you doesn't he... And McKenna and Bishop..." I trailed off, biting my lip.

"Lydia..." He warned.

"Dustin, you can tell me." I pushed, leaning into him.

He sat down, leaving me to kneel in front of him this time. He put his head in his hands. "Yes, he does..." He finally admitted. "Please don't say anything. I don't want you to say anything." I held my tongue, no matter how many questions I had. "If this is too much, you can leave, I won't blame you."

I took his face in my hands. "Hey..." I muttered. "Didn't you hear me? I'm not going anywhere..." He shook his head and I pushed my lips against his. I could tell he was surprised, but it only took seconds for him to return the gesture. His hands went to my waist and he pulled me onto his lap.