A New World

John's POV
"Father must we move?"

"Yes Jack! We've lived in South Carolina our whole lives."

"That's exactly why we shouldn't move!"

"I'm sorry but we're going to New York."

I can never win. My father always beats me. In arguments, games, anything. He just doesn't let me win. I don't want to move. I love the countryside. The way the birds chirp on the ranch in the morning, the smell of fresh morning dew. New York is loud and crowded. Ever since my mother passed away when I was 13, my dad hasn't been the same. I don't know what's wrong with him.

I've always loved my dad though. He's very supportive. I came out gay when I was 15. He didn't mind. He rooted for me. He took me to pride parades. He payed for my college tuition and sent me with a lot of money. I guess being rich pays off.

This was 10 years ago since we moved to New York. My dad sent me to a different college for my freshmen and sophomore year. The only people I knew were the Schuyler Sisters, Marquis de Lafayette, and Hercules Mulligan. Now I'm going to college. I'm a Junior, it's so nerve racking. Thankfully Peggy skipped fourth grade. She's like my sister. College hopefully won't suck. However I came a couple of days late.

My name is John Laurens, son of famous congressman Henry Laurens. I was born and raised in Charleston, South Carolina alongside my older sister Mary, and my younger twin sibilings, Martha and Henry Jr.

It was rare for us to leave SC so moving to New York was a big step for all of us. Maybe it's for the better. I just gotta wait and see.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is just the beginning. It's very short and simple however, things will get more intense as I write. I'm going to try and write a chapter or two a day. I'll make them as lengthy as possible. Wish me luck!