Chapter 14: Belladonna

Day 12

Jonah felt the familiar sharp flood of reality…or in other words a flood of water. The fluid course of the water trickled down at a rapid rate to drown Jonah in this drab fate. A feeling echoed in this dank darkness that sucked the optimism that made up the first four letters of hopelessness. If Jonah thought that he could open his eyes to a different fate he was kidding himself. This was his reality now. And the reality was that he was to rot in this place unaware of where Sherwood was, how he was progressing on his journey, and the fate of the Sun Armies in the jaws of a trap. The reality was that he needed to keep his tongue disciplined for Apollo knows how long.

Jonah let himself focus on the only thing he could focus on in this stifling darkness, what was in front of him. The eyes were as dark as this impenetrable darkness and his hair an echo of the darkness surrounding him in a devilish halo. An offspring of darkness that grows and festers into a deadly Nightshade, this man was every meaning of the word and he was glowering down at his prey with fraudulency and deception in every crevice of his features.

“Has this prison calmed your impudence yet? Yesterday was a warning. If you show defiance again I will have no choice but to exercise my power and the gale is only a small part of it, you worthless stooge.” Nightshade taunted.

“You say such big words, you deadly viper. Do you back them with actions?” Jonah knew that he was being risky but his patience was already being tested.

“Do you want to test me? But no matter, we’re wasting time here. Where is Sherwood and Willow? It would be to your best interest to cooperate.” Nightshade threatened.

Jonah held his tongue. He would hold his own when it came to his own head, because he didn’t care what happened to him as long as Sherwood’s cause was alive. Therefore when the questioning concerned Sherwood, Willow, or the Sun elven soldiers, Jonah knew that he should keep silent. These weren’t his secrets to tell.

Nightshade tapped his foot. His mouth was taut. Jonah could sense this elf’s frustration. His eyes narrowed and his hand cracked over Jonah’s skin on his cheeks. Jonah could feel the mark fester and putrefy mere moments after the contact. So Nightshade wasn’t lying about his power. The wound was already oozing with infection and Jonah could feel sticky salt infested blood pool down from the site.

“Maybe that will give you an incentive to talk if you value your own life.” Nightshade said darkly.

Jonah valued the lives of others above his own. Nightshade clearly underestimated him. However, he wasn’t going to let Nightshade know that he intended on being a martyr for his country if he had to.

Jonah’s thoughts and Nightshade’s actions were boldly interrupted when a swath of hips came into view. A guttural groan escaped from the back of his throat. Not this woman. He didn’t want to see this deceptive poisonous wench again. It was because of her flirtatious trickery that he was in here in the first place.

Maevy came into full view with a giggle floating off from her lips. She looked giddy as if she was watching a butterfly sucking nectar not like she was watching Nightshade putrefy a captive’s face. She came over to Nightshade and whispered a few words in his ear and playfully tickled his chin. Jonah fought the urge to exhume the contents of his empty stomach. He was then reminded that he hadn’t eaten.

So they were going to starve him out. That wouldn’t be wise because Nightshade will need him to talk. Jonah wondered if he was going to have a meager meal a day. He hoped so, but if not hunger wasn’t the worst way to go.

Maevy continued focusing on Nightshade. She was distracting him too for he slipped his hand into hers and he was kissing her on the lips. Jonah shut his eyes out from the sickening image of Nightshade and his Belladonna.