Chapter 3: A Break in the Cycle

Day 9

Willow had offered to take the first watch because she has a hard time falling asleep. Worries always rage in her brain and they don’t let her rest for a while. This time was different. Sherwood wouldn’t leave her mind and she didn’t think that she would be able to rest at all. She sat under a tree in this mighty forest listening to the leaves whispering a song. She could also hear the steady rhythm of Sherwood’s deep breathing. He was already asleep. How was that possible? He was just dancing with her. Did he feel what she felt? She felt like she wouldn’t be able to sleep ever again.

            She succumbed to her thoughts. She couldn’t suppress them. They would come on without hesitation and without her permission. It didn’t help that Sherwood looked so relaxed when he was sleeping, so calm and serene. Even in sleep that crocked grin was blatantly apparent. He looked like he was having pleasant dreams while Willow was having blaring thoughts.

            The way he held her, when he danced with her, still sent shivers all the way down her spine, and her veins were still tingling pleasantly. She sighed. She felt so great. This was a more beautiful feeling then the feeling of hunting in the woods at night. This scene was much better. She enjoyed the sight of the moonlight casting a glow on Sherwood just like she enjoyed the sight of the light filtering in through the trees, but there was more pleasure in the sight of him.

            That moment ended. She still felt that bliss travel in her body through her veins, but then confusion started to settle in. She only knew him for a day and yet it seemed as if she knew him forever. He had so many sides to him though. She didn’t know if he thought of her as he did for his fellow Sun Elves or if he thought of her as he did for his soldiers. She didn’t even think that he knew. She didn’t know if he knew what he wanted-from her or from anyone.

            She also knew that as she was a Moon Elf, even though she didn’t really feel like one, which will make things complicated for them both. He is a Sun Elf. Sun Elves don’t like the Moon Elves. If they were to be together it would make their relations complicated. Then Artemis’s message hit her again. She was to be a means of an alliance between the Sun Elves and the Moon Elves. Was she talking about this? Is that how Willow was going to become a tool to bring about an alliance?

            If that were the case, the union wouldn’t be the only way to bring the alliance to past. Willow knew that Artemis’s messages are meant for more than one thing to happen. There will be something else on top of this to help create an alliance. Willow just didn’t know what else would yet. Then it dawned on her that this complicated friendship wasn’t the only adventure she and Sherwood would have together. Artemis might know of trials that will befall them on their journey.

            She looked at Sherwood again and studied him closely. He looked so innocent and vulnerable in sleep. He was unaware of what her company would entail. He told her that she confuses him in many ways. That was the most honest thing he said to her. That truth was reflected in his eyes. She couldn’t forget what she saw. She saw such fiery intensity, desire, and… confusion. She had never seen anybody look at her like that before. She didn’t think that it was possible that anybody would look at her like that.

             She needed that time to sort her feelings out. She needed time to think about her mission and how she was going to face the fire- The fire of Moordom, the fire of the war, and the fire of her past. Sherwood was right. Artemis was right. She needed to face her fears from her past and conquer them. Vanquish them forever. She needed time to do that. Sherwood -and all that he might cause- would have to wait.

            Suddenly there was a curious scuttling. Willow’s ears instantly snapped to the sound that broke her from her reverie. She sat bolt upright for a moment. Then there was silence. The moon was at its highest at the moment. She knew from the positioning that it was 1 A.M. at least. The sound came again. Willow instinctively snatched her silver bow, notched an arrow, and stood, waiting and waiting for a skirmish.