Part 33: The Old Life Of California

Start from the beginning

I felt her relief and smile from the back of my shoulders, "Thank you." 

I smiled but the pain still lingered no matter how much I ignored it. What is this pain in my chest? Why does it linger so much like a centipede that won't fall no matter how you shake it? From there, my grievances becomes resentment and calculations. My plan was set.

***********************************************************************************************

The next morning, I wake up to the smell of apple pancakes. My gomo was cooking in the kitchen, wearing her strawberry apron. She turned over and smiled softly. "Up already? Pancakes?"

I smelled at the memory of Saturday morning pancakes. "Thank you." I went to the fridge to pulled out some orange juice and maple syrup. Its felt like eternity since I last ate linda's pancakes. Pancakes in Korea just weren't the same. 

Linda flips a pancake. "So how long are you staying?" 

"For three days."

She turns off the stove and serves me two pancakes on my plate. "Are you sure you want to go back? Are you making the right decision? I know you gave me your word, but I just don't feel comfortable knowing you're out there... near her."

I gave her a warm smile and reassured her, "Don't worry gomo. You know me, I never break my word. I'm a big girl now so I have to look out for myself."

Linda glanced at me before going back to the stove, "Yes. I know you. You're grown up now. You don't need your aunt to guide you." She turns over to me, "You're not my little girl anymore." 

I placed down my glass of orange juice, "That's not true. I will always be your little girl gomo."

Upon hearing that, Linda chuckled and resumed on clearing the kitchen counters. It has been such a long time since we had conversations like this. Me eating her pancakes on a Saturday morning while she cooks. I now realize that I had taken Saturday mornings with Linda for granted in the past. 

Ring. Ring

Linda pauses on cleaning and walks over to the house phone. In English, "Hello?"

I began pouring maple syrup over my pancakes and began indulging. I was startled by a sudden shriek from Linda, "Oh hi Mackenzie!" Linda glances in my direction. "No worries I got your tomatoes. I'll have someone that you'll be happy to see to send it over. Alright. Goodbye."

She hangs up and opens the fridge, "I need you to drop off tomatoes for me."

"Why me?" I protested. 

"Because you need to meet with Mackenzie, your best friend? Plus you're not doing anything today so make yourself useful."

"Nice to be back," I said sarcastically. "But I do miss Mackenzie and the others."

"You didn't keep in touch with them in Seoul?"

"I couldn't. The contact states that I am prohibited from mobile devices for one year. That's why I couldn't call you. My first year is almost ending soon so I should be ale to obtain a phone soon." 

Linda drops a bag of bright red tomatoes on the dinner table. "Well whatever you like it or not, be thankful that I'm saving your friendship. I'll give you the address when you're finished eating. Make sure you're there by 8:30 AM."

***********************************************************************************************

I arrived at Denny's at exactly 8:30. I opened the trunk of my car and grabbed two bags filled with tomatoes. As I entered the restaurant, I immediately spotted Mackenzie at the entrance, ready to greet the customers. She was occupied by her note pad until she looked up and saw my face. "Oh my gosh. Jina!"