entry 19

Ruth
20 December, 2017
Manhattan, New York
13:18

"Why are you always so nervous?" Nathanael tightened his grip on my hand as we both sat in the doctor's office.

"I'll never stop being nervous," I admitted. "I guess it's 'cause I just never want nothing bad to happen."

I was nervous, but that didn't even begin to describe half of what I felt. I was anxious to know how the baby was doing. I was afraid of any complications the doctor might see. I was hopeful for a healthy baby. And I was already in love with the being inside of me.

"Do we need to pray again?" Nathanael asked, smiling playfully. He asked this because I had always made it a point to pray before these meetings and today we'd prayed at least four times.

"No," I rolled my eyes, smiling along with him.

"Abrams?"

At the mention of the name, I looked up to see a woman at the threshold of another door with a clip board in her arms. I stood along with Nathanael and approached the woman.

"The doctor will be with you in a moment." She offered a kind smile before leaving and shutting the door behind her.

"Thank you," Nathanael nodded, leading me to the examining table and sitting beside me.

He brought his arms around my shoulders and pulled me to his warmth. I couldn't help but release a soft sigh.

"I love you," I murmured, slipping my arms around his torso.

His head pulled back in order to see my eyes. "Mmm," He hummed, a smile a his lips. "What makes you say that?"

My brows furrowed and I frowned defensively. "I gotta have a motive to tell my husband I love him?"

"No," He answered confidently. "I just want to know what's on your mind."

"Lovin' you is on my mind, Nathanael. How 'bout that?"

The smile that broke out on his face illuminated, even in the bright room of the hospital. I shook my head in amusement. How did the smallest of things make this man so happy?

Before I could say anything more, he set his lips on mine in a kiss that lit up my insides. With a couple more pecks, he pressed one last kiss to my forehead. "I love you too, Ruth. Always."

The door creaked upon the entrance of Kari, my OBGYN. She grinned happily as she made her way further into the room, shaking our hands and exchanging pleasantries.

After she had asked all of her mandatory questions and explained all that would occur, she squeezed her hands into a pair of gloves and brought out the cold, seemingly gel based product that would be on my stomach.

"Are you ready?" She asked, excitedly.

"Yes ma'am," I answered, attempting to replicate her happiness.

Everyone's eyes were glued to the screen in the next moments as we were able to see the ultrasound on the screen.

"Well, Mrs. Abrams, your baby girl still looks as healthy as can be." She announced.

A collective sigh of relief fell past our lips.

"Wonderful," I smiled.

Nathanael
11 January, 2018
Manhattan, New York
12:09

Ruth insisted that we fill the nursery today.

It was a blessing and a curse, to say the least.

When planning it hadn't taken us long to find a theme. With the base color, lilac purple, our baby girl would have a travel themed room.

The walls were lined with landmark silhouettes and we'd already purchased an atlas printed area rug to cover the hardwood floor. Now we were in search of the small things like pictures, decorations, and toys.

Most of the aviator toys I'd picked out apparently "wouldn't cut it" for a newborn infant. Still I wanted to plan ahead so I'd purchased them anyway.

Ruth went on to pick out small shakers and developmental accessories like those with numbers, letters and colors. It was decided that I would print off some of my own pictures for the nursery but along with those went some large scale photos that she just couldn't pass up. Like the one of Maya Angelou; well that one was for herself.

Once in the room, we began to hang prints above the crib and changing table. I also found a hanging accessory for the crib that featured planes and a small globe.

Once finished the room looked nearly perfect. Because Ruth was able to stand back and appreciate her work, I knew I was done. At least for now.