entry 02

Nathanael
12:46
13 october 2016
glendale, georgia...

"You're telling me you actually want to do it yourself?" Julian sounded doubtful over the phone. 

I sighed. "Yes," 

"You'll only be there for two weeks. What makes you think you'll want to go back?"

"I don't know Julian.' I put the phone on speaker and opened up a new tab on my laptop.

renovation tips

"You know my dad did this for a living," 

"Yeah I know, but you travel. Every month, year-sometimes every day." Julian reminded me. again. "Don't waste all this money on some spur of the moment idea. Is there something you found there? You wanna stick around for it-for her?" Of course he thought I fell in love or some shit like that.

"There's nothing here, Julian." I insisted. "That's the point. It's simple and when I need simple, I'll have somewhere to go." He hummed doubtfully. "There's no girl, alright? I'm not that stupid."

The renovation in this home was long over due. My first order of business would be the exterior. The porch was unlikely to stand another week, and another coat of paint would definitely be necessary. A lawn mower; The grass on this property was up past my knees...

"Do what you want, man" Julian said. "If there is a girl though, don't push her away, you dick."

I chuckled. "Whatever,"

"No Nate, I'm serious." He professed. "What happened with Whitney was unfair, but you're still young. Let that shit go man. Maybe there's a reason you got this crazy ass idea after all."

1:39
14 october 2016
glendale, georgia...

The orchard was near the home across the street and somehow I hadn't noticed the Glendale Art Gallery sign outside in the yard.

The lights inside were on.

Having looked outside the window enough, I left the house and walked across the street. The soft sound of a piano resonated throughout the walls as I was able to hear it from the porch. It was quite beautiful and I couldn't help but wonder if it was only a CD or recording.

I pulled the screen door back before my knocks sounded against the wooden frame of the door. The piano playing abruptly stopped. Feet padded towards the door.

I probably could have waited till tomorrow. Or at least later today.

The locks turned before the door creaked open.

My chest constricted, but somehow...in a good way.

Her big brown eyes gleamed in the dim lighting of the foyer as she stared me down. Something about her curly hair and lovely stature seemed familiar and then I realised she was the woman from the diner that I caught a glimpse of on the first night. She was the nice, little girl Diane spoke of. Well she was much more than a little girl. This woman, whoever she was, had me quivering at the knees.

"Can I help you?" My attention drew to her lips as they slowly moved. Her lips-  dear God, they would be on my mind for days.Her voice was gentle and precious but I could also tell that it was used sparingly.

My mouth opened to speak before I closed it quickly. What would I say? I took a step back and finally averted my eyes to my shoes.

"Are you lost, Darlin'?" The opening to the doorway became wider. She then stepped out onto the porch and ducked her head to catch my eyes once again.

I was almost surprised to notice the pace of my heart slowed to a tranquil rhythm when I looked into her curious browns. She emitted such a peaceful sentiment that I found myself unable to look away from her.

The simplicity that I found myself searching for was standing right in front of me.

So I shook my head and walked away.