III. q u e r e n c i a

"I don't understand why you're so insistent on making an argument out of this, angel." I drug a hand down my face in frustration. She had been so argumentative lately.

Ruth emerged from the bathroom, her hair wrapped in an old t-shirt and her arms full of hair products. "I'm not arguin', Nathanael." She spread a towel down over the comforter before plopping down atop the bed and dropping the bottles and containers.

"But, you aren't agreeing with me," I all but grumbled, moving in front of her.

"Well that's called disagreein', sugar. Not arguin'." Her plump pink lips quirked up into a light smirk. "I will pay for my things an you gon' pay for yours."

I watched as she began to section and apply her products into her hair. She would always reserve a little time out of her Sunday evenings to this process, claiming that it was crucial to her hair's maintenance.

I shook my head and focused back on the subject at hand. "Ruth," I drawled. "I've already arranged this with Julian. It's easier to just dip into the business account for this, I'm telling you it isn't even that much."

"Nathanael," Ruth parroted my tone. "You should probably disarrange. I'm goin' out of leisure therefore I won't be usin' any business account money. And I'm tellin' you."

I released an upset breath through my nose. "Why are you being so stubborn? I just want you to have a good time."

She smiled kindly. "I will be, darlin'. But you shouldn't be throwin' away hard earned money-"

"But I won't be." I stressed impatiently. "Ruth listen, you are coming with me and whether you understand it or not, you are a big part of my work so your expenses will be covered."

Her hands fell from her hair. "You're very sweet." My cheeks tinged slightly. "I'll leave it alone for now."

"Thank you," I groaned. "You need help?" I offered generously. I say generously because Ruth had a great deal of thick, long hair and the last time I helped her I found out what being "tender headed" meant.

"You're too heavy handed." Ruth chuckled. She leaned over to lay a sweet kiss on my cheek before she hopped off the bed. "Thank you though," She called over her shoulder.

"Where are you going?" I questioned, my eyes following after her retreating figure.

"I need a snack!" She shouted.