II. z e m b l a n i t y

"What's this?"

Nathanael burst through my front door with three bags stuffed with candy. He lifted them up onto a counter and grinned. "Um, candy Ruth. It is Halloween."

I turned away from my little work station to face him completely. "Why d'you think we went out an picked all that fruit yesterday? Might as well take that back, darlin'."

I chuckled at his fallen expression. He had opened up alot more since he began to join me for dinner. He still didn't say much, but that was okay because neither of us did. He exuberated more emotion-though that was also limited. Sometimes I would see his face light up, until he seemed to realise his actions, then fall back into his bubble. Despite his closed off persona, he had become my friend. We enjoyed the simplicity of harvesting fruit all day yesterday which was such a refreshing feeling of having someone to share my joys with.

I focused my attention back on Nathanael, who proceeded to pour out his candy into large plastic jack-o-lanterns. "Up in New York, this holiday is all about getting another cavity."

"Well then my candied apples'll do just the trick." I felt his presence behind me before I saw him. He reached around me to grasp a stick that was connected to a caramel covered red apple. I pursed my lips disapprovingly and tapped the back of his hand. "Those ain't for you,"

"Mhmmm," His eyes were shut as he chewed. Nathanael's blues then flew open as he licked his rosy pink lips. "Your're an angel."

I guffawed, "Well this angel had you a pie baked, but you can't seem to wait for your dessert."

"Ruth," He drawled out, taking my waist and pulling me closer before I could turn back to my work. "You can't do that. Here-I won't even take another bite until we're finished."

I raised a challenging brow. "I most certainly can suga, but you," I took the apple and wrapped it before handing it back to him. I tapped my index finger atop his thin nose. "you ain't wastin' my homemade caramel. G'on and set your little candy out darlin', a possum might want some." I went back to wrapping my apples.

When five o'clock rolled by, some of the small elementary kids began to make their way to my house with their parents. As expected, Nathanael's little plastic pumpkin received weird stares while my candied apples were a hit.

He snatched a lifesaver from his bucket as we made our way back into the house. I giggled, but could tell that he was slightly upset. "We're a cookies and homemade goodies type of community, suga." I patted his shoulder.

"They acted like they didn't even want it; What kid doesn't like candy?"

"How 'bout you pour yourself a glass of milk so I can cut up some of your pie," I locked the door and turned off the porch light.

"Can I still have my apple?"

"Course you can, darlin'."