The Sacrifice

Pierce had been acting strange since the smoking incident. The normally carefree and lighthearted person was replaced with somebody who seemed terrified of every outside noise. Even now, he was walking around the house checking every door and window. "So are you going to tell me why we're doing this?" 

"Just to be sure. Better safe than sorry," came his muttered response. I narrowed my eyes at him and his bullshit excuse.

"And what is it that we need to be safe from?" I hoped they weren't thinking that I was going to try and jump out of a window or something of the sort. Even that idea was beyond my capabilities. 

Pierce stopped for a moment and turned to me. His eyes were downcast and he was chewing on his lip. Something he only did when he knew he was in deep shit. "You." 

The noise that came out of my mouth could only be described as inhumane. I stared at him in utter disbelief at his response. Safe from me. Did they think I was going to try to kill myself or something? I could feel my face heat as I started to become angry. "You guys think I'm some fucking threat?! I'm not going to do anything to hurt myself and to think that you of all people would think anything otherwise! You guys are fucking pathetic!" 

"Now you know that that's not what it is," Pierce began as he looked up at me. He reached out to grab my arm but I snatched it away violently. I could see the anger rise in his eyes and I wasn't exactly sure how to react. 

"Then what is it?" I asked as I wrapped my arms protectively around my torso. They'd never done something as extreme as this before because they knew I wasn't that much of a risk to myself after I was caught. This hurt, to say the least.

Pierce seemed to think for a few moments which only added salt to the wound. All he was going to do was give me some bullshit excuse in an attempt to fix everything and keep me here. They wanted to ship me away. That's exactly what is was. They were doing all this because they wanted me to think I was safe and that everything was going to be okay. The reality of it all was that they were going to be the ones to hand me over. "All three of you can go fuck yourselves. I don't want to see any of you ever again. I thought I could trust you! You promised I wouldn't be sent back there. Now I can see that you're full of shit. Don't ever talk to me again!"

I was on the verge of tears as I spun on my heel and ran away from Pierce. All of his shouts for me to stop seemed muffled by the larger thoughts running through my head. I had to get somewhere where they wouldn't ever find me. I had to hide until they gave up. 

It seemed to take forever for me to find my way through the halls of Pierce's enormous house. Each step I took made my body feel heavier than before. The only motivation for me to keep going were the frantic footsteps behind me. They seemed to be getting closer by the second which made me pick up my pace. The last thing I would do was give Pierce the satisfaction of catching me. 

After rounding yet another corner, I caught a glimpse of the back door. I couldn't go straight outside just yet. If I did, he'd just follow me and I'd never be able to hide. Hearing Pierce calling my name, I turned to the nearest door and opened it. All that was behind it was a coat closet but I did my best to hide in the corner furthest from the door. If Pierce came, I would fight.

Where would I go once I got outside? There were many houses nearby and I'm sure one of them would belong to somebody I knew. Maybe they'd be willing to let me stay for a few days until things calmed down. No. It wouldn't be just a few days of them looking. Knowing them, it'd be at least a month until they even thought of giving up. I couldn't stay at anybody's house for that long. 

Maybe I could just leave. Find a way home and go out of town. Stay in a hotel for a few months. I bit my lip as I tried to work it out. I had more than enough money to last me however long I needed to. I didn't want to worry my mom too much though. She had enough stress on her as it is. If Candy and Lilo told her what I did, me running away wouldn't do anything to reassure her.

The only option I had left was the woods. Nobody wanted to go in there after what happened. Even if things weren't so bad, there was still the lingering fear. The times I went in and came out barely remembering what happened were bad enough. If I lived there, I'd probably go insane. 

Weighing my options, it was obvious that I'd have to go back into the woods. Even if it was just to get home and get my car, I knew that I had to go. Pierce would never find me and there were plenty of hiding spots in case somebody were to come after me. With a silent sigh and a quick nod to myself, I slowly crept to the door. Hesitantly, I placed my ear against the wood and tried to listen for any sign of Pierce. It was dead silent but that did nothing to calm my nerves. For all I knew, Pierce could be standing right outside of the door waiting for me to try and escape. 

I peered through the gap underneath the door to see if I could see any sign of his shoes. Sweeping my eyes across what I assumed to be the kitchen and living room area, there was nothing. Maybe he was upstairs in his room. Or maybe he had already left while I was thinking. All I knew was that he wasn't here. Now would be my only time to escape. 

I quickly got up to my feet and placed my hand hesitantly on the door knob. With a clicking that was a bit too loud for my liking, the door swung open slowly. In this silence, every sound seemed amplified. I was sure Pierce would come bounding around the corner because he heard me. That thought was enough of a push to get me to the back door almost silently. 

The fact that Pierce was willing to give up so easily should have struck me as alarming. He was  one of the most persistent people I'd ever met. There was no way he'd give up looking for me after barely an hour. I should have known there was a reason why he gave up so fast. The thought never even crossed my mind until I opened the back door. A shrill ringing erupted which nearly brought me to my knees from its intensity. Pierce wasn't so worried about looking for me because he knew I wouldn't be able to get out of the door. 

It was like everything was in slow motion. The ringing was enough to make my eyes water and my head pound. As an effort to get away from the sound, I headed straight for the treeline. I'd only have to hope that I could lose Pierce once I was far enough from the ringing. As if he knew exactly what I was thinking, Pierce emerged from the treeline with a sinister smile among his face. There was no way that I could get past him. 

"I wouldn't have had to go to such extreme measures if you would've just listened," Pierce screamed above the noise. I didn't understand why he wasn't affected by it until I caught a glimpse of the earplugs he had in his ears. 

I turned and tried to head back for the house. If I could make it there before him then I could lock him out and find a way to turn of the noise. With each second, the throbbing in my ears and head seemed to double in intensity. I was scared that my entire head would explode from the noise. 

A blow to the back of my knees brought me crumpling to the ground while another cause me to bend over. I was soon pushed onto my hands and knees with tears cascading towards the ground. I felt immense relief as the noise was replaced by silence. Only to black out a minute later.