Chapter 27

((381's POV))

We all scrambled up and out of our seats in a rush, as did many of the other people around us.  Frantically, we followed the large crowd of people around the large hallways and up some stairs.  People stepped on my heels and pushed me around, making it hard for me to run and keep up with the others.  

256 was practically shoving people out of her way, making them fall over and stumble back.  I decide to follow in her tracks, seeing that she's paved me the perfect trail where I could walk right through the tightly-packed crowd.  Timberland and Grace were out of view, they were way at the very front of the crowd.  How they had somehow managed to get all the way up at the front and stay there was beyond me.  I was struggling to even keep up with the crowd.  Laila, however, was no where to be seen, but I figured she was somewhere in the crowd, or was being trampled.  I had a hard time picturing her being at the front.  She didn't seem like the type of person to push and shove others out of the way just so she could get there first. The girl practically feared any type of rash actions, so there was no way she was at the front.  Thankfully, though, my trail maker had no problem with being a little aggressive.   

When the crowd stopped moving, I knew I had reached where the scream had came from.  People were loudly chatting, their conversations rushed and worried.  Sadly, I was still a little ways from the front, so I couldn't see what everyone was looking at, and I had lost 256 at that point.  But I spotted Timberland and Grace.  So, with a huff, I shoved my way through the crowd, not bothering with manners, and slipped my way up towards the only two people I recognized.  I squeezed in between Grace and Timberland, nearly knocking Grace over.

"Sorry," I mumbled, half-heartedly.

She just grunted and ignored me.  256 stood next to her.  We were closer to the front, but there was still a good chunk of people blocking our view.  Timberland scanned us, and frowned, looking over his shoulder.

"Where's Laila?" he asked.

"I don't know.  I lost her.  She's probably in the back," I said with a shrug.

Okay, so maybe I felt a little bad for leaving her behind, but with the crowd being so pushy and my curiosity (as well as my perfect walkway), I just wanted to see what the commotion was about.  She was probably fine anyways.  She wouldn't have gotten seriously injured just by being shoved slightly.  Right?

Timberland sighed and walked away through the crowd.  A couple minutes later, he came back, dragging Laila through the crowd by her wrist.  She looked dazed, eyes wide with what I had to guess was overwhelm and panic.  

"Come on guys, lets go see what's all the fuss is about." he said and pushed his way towards the front, still pulling Laila with him.

The rest of us followed him, forcing our way towards the scene.  Timberland and Laila must've gotten there first because just as I was approaching the end of the crowd, I heard a loud, piercing scream of horror.  Quickly, I dozed my way to the front, not caring if anyone fell over because I was pushing them.  I looked to my left and found Timberland and 256 frozen, faces still.  But they didn't look as bad as Laila did at that moment.

Laila was as white as a sheet, her fingers twitching at their sides, her eyes even wider than before, but was once a rushed, dizzy look, now was a petrified, sickened look.  She looked like she was going to pass out any moment.  

My eyes followed their gazes, and was stunned by the sight in front of me.

459, a boy I knew, who was only around twelve, was laying on the floor, eyes closed, his head resting in a small pool of a deep red liquid I could only identify as blood.  His arms and legs were sprawled out, and he was laying on his back, as if he had just fell back and no one had caught him.  But what was worst was the fact that I couldn't tell if he was dead or not.  I couldn't tell if he was breathing, or moving.  He was loosing so much blood, and fast, if he was alive, he was running out of time.

What had happened to this boy?

Suddenly, I was shoved out of the way, and I fell into the person next to me, who also fell.  We crashed to the ground, nearly landing on top of each other.  I quickly scrambled up and kneeled on my knees, my palms laying flat on the ground, watching what was happening.

Around six people carrying a gurney, much like the ones they had back in the Lab (except dirtier and older), rushed over to 459.  I only recognized one of the persons, the one shouting out the orders was Chris, the one guy who gave me that shot and stuff.  The five others picked up 559, placed him on the gurney, and carried him away around the crowd, looking lost in thought.

As soon as they left, my eyes trailed back to the puddle of blood on the floor, just sitting there, reminding that a real, living person I knew was just laying there, bleeding out from his head.

Was he going to be okay?  Or was he already long gone?  The thought of him laying on the gurney, already dead, no longer to be saved, made my stomach churn.  

The crowd fell dead silent except for a few whispers, as if they were in mourning for a boy who, hopefully, wasn't dead yet.

256 looked down at the ground, holding her hands together.  She too knew 459, and unlike me, knew him pretty well.  Sort of.

No one said anything or made any noise, until Laila doubled over, clutching her stomach, and threw up whatever she had eaten for breakfast onto the hard ground.  

################################################################################

((Finally updated!  Yay...?

Hopefully this chapter was good enough to satisfy your Glitched needs, and maybe make up for the wait...  Though I highly doubt it.

Anyways, for all of you who wanted an ID, I have all the information filled into the IDs, I just would like you to comment again so I make sure not to forget anyone or forget anything I was supposed to add.  Because knowing me, I most likely did.

Question #28: What happened to 459?  Why was he bleeding on the ground?  Do you think he's going to make it, or will die?  Or, is he already dead?))