Chapter Six

Friday Harbour, San Juan Islands, Washington, USA

July 2017

Jerry Lawrence

After docking the ferry for what may quite possibly be the final time, Scott and I rush to the school, running as fast as we can whilst maintaining our breath through the thick ash which has now settled upon the island. What was once a tropical paradise is now comparable to something from a post-apocalyptic novel, and unfortunately gas masks were not a part of our safety kit.

As we turn a sharp corner, we spot the silhouette of the school, distinguishable only from its bulky yet compact shape amongst the small villas, as the entire island is now painted in monochrome shades of grey. It feels almost as though we have been thrown into an old fashioned photograph. Honestly, I think I'd much rather take that situation than the one we find ourselves in now.

As we approach the school I hear Scott praying for his wife and children's safety under his breath, and I eye the state of the building cautiously.

"Looks frail, Scott. Best be careful. I get the feeling this place could come down under any further pressure."

He nods timidly and I give the door a gentle push, causing some of the ash to come sprinkling down, and I quickly cover Scott's mouth and nose to prevent him from further inhaling any of the debris, as his sickly wheezes on the way here served as a tell-tale sign that he has inhaled way too much of the ash already.

Once I'm absolutely positive that the ash has finished falling, I lead Scott through the door of the school, and we are greeted almost instantaneously by Rebecca fussing over us, the distress on her face evident as she holds Scott's face in her hands.

"We were wondering if you would come back. We heard from the army officials that no more boats were leaving or returning to the island. I am so happy to see you," Rebecca flings her arms around Scott's neck and then around my own.

"We took the ferry back after dropping the passengers off. There was no way I would leave you here by yourself with the kids." Scott returns her hug while kissing her cheek. "Where are the children anyway?"

"Oh, the two of them are in the kindergarten classroom playing with some of the toys along with a handful of other children who have remained here. It was awful Scott, seeing their faces as the ash began to fall. At first Bella thought it was snow and begged me to let her play out in it. I didn't know how to tell her it wasn't so I just kept saying no. Her poor, little face when I kept denying her what she wanted, it was awful. I felt so cruel yet there was nothing I could do. Then there was Zachary who kept questioning me as to why it is snowing in July. How typical is it that he just went over seasons last week in school. He knows there's no snow in summer and now he is all confused. I'm so glad that you are safe, both of you. These children need both their dad and granddad in their life."  Rebecca fills us on what we have missed since leaving the island.

"Can we go see them?" I ask, wanting to comfort my grandchildren along with my own need to comfort myself.

"Of course, follow me," Rebecca leads us down the narrow corridors of the school. The walls are painted with pictures that children have created, ranging from their own interpretations of the harbour to creative animals they have made up in their mind. I carefully gaze over all them, recognising most of the names as this is only a small town, wondering where some of these children are now.

"Bella, Zach, your daddy and grandpa are here," Rebecca calls out to them. As soon as she steps into the classroom, I see her back straighten upwards out of habit, becoming the teacher that she is even though she isn't working at the moment.