Chapter Twenty Nine

I was standing there stunned, not knowing what to say, not knowing what to do. The look on her face told me she had heard the entire conversation and now I was left with a choice, do I tell her the truth or do I deny it? She already knows there's someone else but how would she react if she found out it was an inmate. The look of hurt on her face at the moment was already starting to kill me.

"Jordan, it's not what you think," I blurted out as she started to walk passed me. I grabbed on to her arm, pulled her back and she swung around to face me. We were close, so close I could feel her breath on my face. Her forehead was leaning against mine, I closed my eyes and let out a deep breath. "Vic..." she started and I knew there was a really good chance I wasn't going to like what she was about to say.

I put my hand on her face and she leaned into it, as she closed her eyes I felt her body relax into mine. "I know I said I could wait, that you're baggage wasn't too much for me." I put my thumb over her lip to stop her, "I know Jordan, I'm so sorry. There's so much that I wish that could be different, you don't deserve any of this."

She pulled back and looked at me. Her eyes held a question that she didn't want the answer to, but she was going to ask it anyway. "Is it Megan? Is that the other person you're seeing?" This was the moment that I had to make the decision. Was I going to tell her the truth? Could I look her in the eye and lie to her?

"No babe, it's not Megan. I'm sorry you had to hear that, Jaclyn is just trying to save herself by pointing fingers.

Jordan didn't look convinced, "Was she lying about sleeping with Sarah?" There was no right way to answer this question. If I said she was lying she might not believe me since everyone knew Sarah was sleeping with the whole world. If I said it was true, then she might not believe that she was lying about Megan.

I decided to try and keep my lying to a minimum and hope for the best, "No she wasn't lying about that, Sarah told me it was true."

She pulled further away from me and I thought for sure I had screwed this up. "I heard you say that she was lying about Sarah, why would you protect her?"

That was a reaction I wasn't expecting, "I didn't want to throw Sarah under the bus. We've sorted out our mess and I don't want to cause anymore. Plus Jaclyn is a snake and if they take anything she says seriously who knows what else she might say to help herself. I didn't want to give her any validation."

I knew that it was a risk because she might think that I'm trying to protect myself if I was involved with Megan but something told me that she was more worried about Sarah. "Are you sure that's all it is. I saw you with Sarah, I could feel it, it looked intimate," she whispered.

"Jordan, there is a lot of history between her and I but that's all it is, history. Nothing intimate has happened between us since we broke up. It's over, I promise you." She seem to relax a little bit but I knew this conversation wasn't over.

She looked at her watch and I realized we'd been standing there for a while and if she was here I didn't know who was watching our post. "We should really get back to work," she said as her hand grazed my arm.

"Yes we should, come home with me after shift and we can talk about this some more." I kissed her forehead and we made our way back to our post knowing that the conversation of the night was going to be Jaclyn and John and hopefully my name would be kept out of it.

--

Unfortunately, I wasn't that lucky. The moment we got back to the desk we inmates and guards alike coming to talk to me about what happened. Everyone wanted to know the details of me walking in on Jaclyn and John having sex, wanting to know if Jaclyn was telling the truth about me and Megan or Jaclyn and Sarah. I knew that it would make sense for me to stay away from Megan but I also felt like if I did that it would just make me look guilty.