Chapter 12

It's been a tedious month and a half of rehabilitation for the green eyed sergeant. Her body is almost back to normal, which was a miracle according to her doctors.

Dinah was still in a coma, which Lauren found a safe haven in. She figured no one knew what she was going through, and even though her best friend was lying still and never reacting to anything she said or did, Lauren always confided in her every single day.

"I miss her," Lauren sighed out while thinking of the short brunette. "We haven't spoke since we got deployed."

She looked up towards the taller girl, who laid peacefully on the hospital bed.

"Please just-" Lauren felt her impatience rise again, "Wake up Hansen! I order you to wake up!"

The door to the room had opened just in time. The green eyes had tears filling them up slowly, threatening to fall down her cheeks as she stood up looking over the Polynesian.

"Hey LJ--" Normani came in with a stack of paper and a large decorated photo album. "Is now a bad time?"

"N-No," Lauren composed herself to give the girl a hug. "I could definitely use the company."

"The doctors told me that the hospital won't pay her bills anymore." Normani's body deflated as her voice got quieter. "They said it's time for me to make the final decision. They're giving her three more days before th-they pull the plug."

Lauren didn't know how to respond besides pulling the girl in for another comforting hug, "It'll be okay Mani."

The two took their seats up against the hospital bed. She put the hospital papers in her bag, before placing the photo album in front of them.

"This loser made this for us since we first met back in high school," Normani chuckled out. "She adds more every chance she gets."

"That explains the endless amounts of selfies," Lauren smiled down at the decorated book.

There were pictures of the close-knit group from back when they were just juniors in high school. Dinah was the tallest, with pinkish hair wearing a volleyball uniform, and next to her stood nerdy little Camila. Normani stood in her cheerleading outfit next to Ally, who wore a Shakira concert tee-shirt.

"It baffles me how you guys were friends back in the day. A volleyball girl, cheerleader, nerd, and a Shakira shirt-wearing ASB president all together. Seems like something only Hollywood would pull off." Lauren pointed out as she looked through the album more.

"This one is Dinah asking me to prom during our senior year," Normani's eyes lit up, "She took so much pride in taking me to see Beyonce for the first time with her."

The photo had their friends holding up letters that spelled out BEYONCE?, while Dinah held a bouquet of roses on one hand, and two tickets on the other. 

"The concert was the same day as prom. She figured that since prom was just food and dancing, we could be doing the same thing in the front row against the stage."

Lauren was in awe of the couples past. She found it heartwarming that the two were so in love at such a young age. She got caught up in looking at other pictures, in which all had one familiar brunette smiling in all of them.

"Do you miss her," Normani asked in a small voice. "Camila?"

"Yea," Lauren sighed out quietly. "Not a day goes by where I don't think of her. No matter where I go, no matter what I do, she's always there in my head."

"You know, Dinah and I broke up only once before." Normani closed the book, "She went to bootcamp for the first time. She was gone for twelve weeks. The longest we've ever been away from each other."

"What happened?"

"I was scared she was going to just fall out of love with me. You know, after being together for such a long time, I always had this thought that the only reason why she was with me, was because she was just used to it." Normani sighed out, "I kept throwing fits. I even tried to get her back home faster than planned, and even discouraged her from continuing on with the Marines."

"Let me guess, the two weeks of waiting to receive letters back was too long?" Lauren smiled.

"Exactly." Normani agreed, "But she broke up with me after four weeks into training. She explained how much she didn't want to, and how much she missed me every single day, but she needed to do focus on herself. She even said that the only way we could be together is that I had to support everything that she did. And girl, that woman was right. I missed her so much and I lost sight of what was important-- her happiness."

Lauren was amazed at the story, never realizing that even soulmates can have bumps in the road.

"The reason why I'm telling you this, is because you and Camila are perfect for each other. As soon as the two men showed up at our door to tell us what happened, she was devastated. Her sister had gone through a similar situation, which guarded her from dating anyone really. She let you have her heart within the short amount of time while you were here. I think she needs to see you to believe that you're actually alive and well. Plus, I think it'll be healthy if you saw her for yourself, and got answers as to why she blocked everyone else out. I don't think she knew how to cope with everything; she's doing exactly what her sister did."

__________________

Lauren spent the next two days overthinking how to approach Camila again. She got the address to her apartment through Ariana, and has been sitting in her car rehearsing everything she could possibly say once the shorter brunette finally opened the door.

"Hey Camz," Lauren shook her head, "Sup Camila." She grabbed the steering wheel and shook her body violently. "Whaddup Mils? I just came over cuz y'know I missed you-"

I'm such an idiot. Lauren thought to herself.

The Sergeant looked at her rear-view mirror, noticing an unfamiliar face coming out of her ex-girlfriends apartment. She was a skinny but tall brunette, who hugged Camila happily before leaving to the staircase and down to her car.

Lauren composed herself before stepping out of her car to put a leather jacket and sunglasses on. She knew not to assume right away, but she had a bad feeling about what was about to come.

The green eyed girl made her way to the staircase and up to the third floor of the apartment complex. She found room 305, and knocked on the door nervously.

"Coming back for more alrea-" The short brunette stopped mid-sentence while realizing who was at the door.

"Hi Camz."

Camila's breath hitched in surprise.

"Can we talk?"

Camila still had yet to process what was happening before her.

"Is your girlfriend going to kick my ass for being here?"

"N-No." Camila choked out, "Not m-my girlfriend."

"Well you didn't give me the memo that I wasn't yours anymore, either." Lauren threw shade at the quiet and nervous girl in front of her.

Both girls' phones had rang signalling that they had an incoming text. Luckily it broke the awkwardness between them as they both reached for their devices.

Normani (3:26 PM) - COME TO THE HOSPITAL. SOS

------------------------

A/N: I am so sorry for the wait.... Hope this makes up for it. Will be updating soon