29 (Teens & Journals)

Eight little letters. Three simple words. With an I and a you.

"I hate you."

It stings more than any collection of three words ever has.

"Emma." He can't even say the name with power. He can't make her feel his... pain.

"One time dad." He doesn't need to make her feel his pain because she's already feeling it.

"Emma," finally Emily found her words. "Apologize," but she doesn't. She can see that both of them are upset. She's won. Yet she doesn't feel like she's won.

She breathes in," no."

The door slams and they know that bridge has been burned.

There's more to life than just the job, Aaron. I get it. They're important to you but you have a son now and me!

Emily stares at the door.

"I.." Hotch can't speak. All training in everything is gone.

"I'll talk to her," Emily says patting his shoulder and she leaves him. Standing in the middle of the living room.

_¡|《》|¡_

"You really upset us, you know?" Emily asks leaning against Emma's dresser.

"Well I guess that makes three of us." Emma says turning her dark eyes to her mother.

Emily looks at her daughter and all she can see his herself and Aaron. His light brown eyes glaring at her. Her own dark hair curly hair. His attitude. Her-

"Wanna tell me what's bothering you?"

Emma scowls, an almost perfect replica of her father's," I told you what was wrong."

Her arms cross tightly and Emily frowns," Emma, honey, it doesn't take a profiler to see through your lie."

Emma turns her back, instead looking out her window.

"We've missed plenty of award ceremonies Emma. We're not proud of that but this... this isn't something you get upset about." Emily moves from the dresser to the edge of Emma's bed. "So.. tell me what's really bothering you?"

Emma keeps her scowl," it... school."

Emily nods," okay. I'm all ears here. Let it out."

Emma wrings her hands,"... stress I guess. It's just.... Dad was supposed to help me study for that Biology test and I was going to ask you for help with Algebra two but you guys left... and.."

Emily sighs and smiles at her distressed daughter," well for one love, never ask for my help with math. Your father is good with all of that except history." Emily stands and Emma doesn't try and stop her," honey, if you needed our help why didn't you just ask?"

Emma's eyes water with tears," I dont know. Jack never needed help."

Emily smiles and stands slowly. She walks closer to Emma," honey. You and Jack? You're not the same. Never will be. He's like your father. He stows himself away in books and learns by pushing himself. Your blessed and cursed with my abilities."

Emma looks to the ground and Emily pulls her into a hug. Not just a hug a motherly hug that makes Emma squirm.

"Now," Emily says pulling Emily about in a rocking motion. "I'm all good, dandy in fact, but I know your father is hiding somewhere. Probably eating himself alive."

Emma nods and Emily opens her bedroom door," now. Go find your dad."

Emma glances back at her mom but walks out to the living room. He's not there. "Mom?"

She checks the kitchen," he's not in here!"

Emily smiles from her spot in the hall," check our room!"

Emma dramatically walks back towards her room but stops at Jack's room. "Dad? What're you doing in here?"

Hotch looks up and closes the book in his hands," uh yeah." He looks around, he's seating on the floor next to Jack's bed," uh I was seating."

Emma smiles nervously and slowly walks into Jack's room," I uh...'

Hotch looks up and smiles," it's okay. I already know."

Emma seats down by his feet," you're not mad?"

Hotch sighs and shrugs," why would I be mad? A little upset maybe. Slightly disappointed but not mad."

She nods and crawls so seat by his side," you think he likes college?" She motions with her head towards the bed, making it clear she's talking about Jack.

Hotch smiles at the leathery book in his hand," I think he likes more than just college up there."

Emma looks at the book and at her father," oh..."

Hotch smiles at Emma," yeah I know about that."

Hotch looks down at the book in his hands, when did those sign in his son?

There you are my people.
-SH