28 (Spill It)

As soon as Emma curled up under her father's side he knew she would fall alseep quickly.

"I'm sorry," he whispers, trying his best to keep still and Emma asleep.

Emily smiles but tears are building up in her eyes," I know."

He reaches across and gently squeezes her hand," I know you know I'm sorry but I..."

She frowns and nods, he want to make sure she knows he means it.

"Emily...you were right I don't know what you're feeling..." He bites the inside of his lip.

"I know, Aaron." She squeezes his hand, over the years it's seemed to just be a sign of support. "I'm sorry that I... took offense to you trying to understand."

He nods and she stands up enough the she can kiss him.

"Nasty," Emma whispers and Hotch playfully nudges her with his elbow.

She giggles and pushes back," stop."

Emily smiles as she watches the two of them.

"Dad?" Emma had stopped calling them 'Mommy and Daddy' since she was ten. It hurt a little.

"Hmm," it's nice to know that everything is going to be okay.

Emily lays her head on Hotch's shoulder.

"Jack's going to be okay, right?" She looks up at him with identical eyes to his own.. the only difference is hers are still young and blissfully unaware of the true monsters that her father's hunt.

Hotch's silence is deafening.

"Of course he's going to be okay," Emily says poking at Emma's sides. "He's got that Hotchner mojo."

Hotch smiles softly and the weight of what's happening settles on his shoulders.

"Emma," Emily smiles, completly covering any sign of distress in her voice and appearance," go get yourself something to eat."

Emma doesn't argue but she does look back at her parents for only a moment before going on.

"Emily I shouldn't have ran. I just got...so clouded. You're right. I don't know how you feel. I can't. My father was an abusive alcoholic but yours was a war hero. My mother was a stay at home mom who did the best who could and I hated because she couldn't protect me but your mom... she's an ambassador!" Hotch looks down at his hands and his brow creases," and my only son is back there... Your mother..."

Tears pool in Emily's eyes.

"And I never... Emily I never comforted you. You're hurting. I.." She pulls him into a hug and he can feel her warm wet tears on his collar.

"She's dead," she sobs and Hotch rubs her back as well as she can. "My mother's dead and my son's in surgery." Her head turns and she leaves it in the crook of his neck," and you're all.. beat up." Almost as soon as the words come out she pulls away," you're beat up!"

He hadn't explained that yet..

"Bar fight," he says looking away from her.

"You best have a better explanation than that."

So he tells her. He tells her how he saw that guy. How he saw red and his own father was standing there and not that boy.

"Mr. And Mrs. Hotchner? I've got news on Jack."

Two updates in one day!
-SH