11 (Rope)

Every child is given one thing upon their birth: a rope. God gifts it like it's gold. You see, you get your rope and every rope is a different length. Literally, God gives you a rope to hang yourself. Each one is specific for you. Some are short, to make jumping to your death... quick. Sometimes... we get our ropes tangled. God watches, waits, for us to jump and he watches as our ropes tangle and we bring everyone down. You see, God simply gives us the rope... he lets us do the jumping ourselves.

"Aaron!"

Aaron Hotchner took his jump, he just didn't know it.

"Aaron!"

His jump left no blood. No actual physical harm.... only emotional.

You need to understand... to jump is to receive freedom. Freedom is a length of rope God wants you to hang yourself with.

"Noo!"

He can't breathe. Is it the noose around his neck?

"You're okay."

"E-Emily?"

"It's okay."

God doesn't complelty screw us over. Think about it... everyone has that someone. The one that keeps them safe.

Sherlock and his faithful doctor.

The Doctor and Rose.

Scooby Doo and Shaggy.

Sam Winchester and Dean.

Dean Winchester and Castiel.

Mulder and Scully.

Steve McGarret and Dano.

Dharma and Greg.

Thelma and Louise.

Bonnie and Clyde.

No matter how alone you think you are, there's always someone who still cares.

We're humans. No matter how much we evolve the best medicine we have will always be love.

"I'm sorry," he sobes," Arnold. I shouldn't have made you go in."

She rubs his trembling muscles and feels his sweat through his blue cotton t-shirt.

"Honey," she whispers against the nape of his neck. "That was years ago."

He looks up at her, his beautiful brown eyes red rimmed and puffy," but you were scared. I was so caught up in..."

"Foyett." She finishes softly.

He collapses against her and she takes him.

"I forgive you," she insists.

"Why? How can you love me! I'm awful." He pulls himself away weakly.

They'd been sharing a bed for months now. They know the others body like their own. They're comfortable with each other.

"I'm a mess!" He stands and the moon shines through the curtain on to his bare legs. "I'm damaged."

She's never heard him like this before. Never this self-hating.

"Aaron, please." She crawls across the bed to his side," come back to bed."

Whatever he dreamt... it was bad.

He puts a hand to the wall behind him," Emily. I don't-"

"Please."

These people. These hand chosen saviors, they save us. We jump and so do they. They grab our hand just before we're "free". They pull us back and we're okay again. As okay as we can be.

"I don't care what you dreamt, Aaron." She strokes his cheek," I will always love you."

He pulls her to him, so that her head rest over his heart," you keep me sane, Emily Prentiss."

She kisses his chin," someone has to."

Because in the end freedom isn't what we thought it was. Freedom is death. Death disguised as a happy white man in red white and blue waving flags and singing the national anthem. Even then... freedom isn't freedom. It's not what we thought we wanted expect by then it's to late to take it back.

I feel like this was rather... dull?

Anyways, hope you guys liked it!
-SH